Amanda Field

Writing a letter to 2016

Dear 2016,

New Years’ is not so far away. I have almost experienced another 366 days; another full turn on Earth’s axis. I’ve learned, lived, and lost. 2016 was a year of changes: good and bad.

For one, I wouldn’t say this year was completely unsuccessful. Some positive things occurred this year. I overcame several obstacles that were thrown my way. I completed my first year of high school with excellent grades. I learned a lot this year that I’m very grateful for. I learned how to let go of situations. I learned that not every action deserves a reaction. I learned that people have good in them, but it’s not your job to find it for them. I learned how to identify complementary angles in a transversal. I learned things that made me stronger as a human. Thank you for teaching me how to cope and remain calm in situations that, in years past, I probably would have irrationally acted upon.

Although you taught me amazing things, you also kind of lacked in making it great. I always told myself that I would never regret a single decision. Well, I guess that’s something I can leave in 2016. This year, I made life decisions that I constantly wish I never did. I met people I wish I didn’t. I didn’t excel in subjects I know I could have. People left unexpectedly and I want them back. Can you bring them back to me? To the ones that were forced to, I will miss you in this upcoming year. To the ones who chose to leave, I won’t forget about you, but I am choosing to move on and better myself.

2016, you hit me hard with all of this growing up stuff. I had my 15th birthday in the beginning of this year. Since then, I had to put on my big girl pants and do big girl things.

I lived this year.

This was a year full of loss for everyone. Some were personal to me, while some were a major loss to many. Thank you for keeping me alive to see another year.

2016, I want you to know as much as I talk down to you and say I’m glad you’re over, I loved that you came. I’m glad I had a birthday to celebrate. I’m glad I had people that chose to stay. I’m glad I have my family by my side to support me through all of my decisions. I’ll miss you greatly,  but please do not return.

Sincerely,
Amanda

$50
$500