Senior assembly held for Class of 2018

The Tunstall High School senior assembly was held in front of parents, teachers, community members, and the junior class. The service had a somber beginning with a moment of silence to remember senior Brandi Beckelheimer, who sustained significant injuries in a car accident last night and was undergoing treatment.

Dr. Albert Payne, who led the Tunstall Academic Booster Club for 20 years, was recognized for his service and presented awards on behalf of the Academic Boosters and the St. John’s Fisherman Clubs.

He recognized the Top 25 including Tyler Jarrett as the Top Male Academic Athlete and Lexi Toufas as the Top Female Academic Athlete.

St. John’s UMC Fisherman’s Club awards were given to Blake Mitchell, Lexi Toufas, Lia Haskins, and Zoey White.

The Hughes Memorial Foundation presented a record number of scholarships to the Tunstall students totaling $52,000.

The following students received scholarships for $1,000: Mercedes Coleman, Morgan Harris, Anna Catherine Kueng, and Jordan Walker. Taylor Astin, Allison Crank, Leah Dowdy, Tyler Jarrett, O’niandra Jennings, Hallie Klauss, Travis Shelton, and Lexi Toufas all received $1,500 scholarships.

Brandi Beckelheimer was announced as receiving a $2,000 scholarship from Hughes Memorial, as well as Allison Dickens and Kelsie Smith.

Receiving the highest awarded amount of $2,500 was Brenda Arellano, Kaleb Barker, Austin Childress, Makayla Crumpton, Angel Gregory, Heather McCubbins, Blake Mitchell, Kelci Pool, Cameron Rigney, Hunter Robertson, Zoey White, and Makayla Woods.

The Community Foundation awarded nine scholarships ranging from $1,000-3,000 to Tunstall seniors Hannah Hale, Anna Catherine Kueng, Makayla Crumpton, Justin Fuller, Grey Capozzoli, Conner Weaver, A. J. Vincent, Taylor Astin, and Emma Hale. Cameron Rigney was also awarded a four year renewable scholarship for $5,500.

The Danville Community College Educational Foundation presented a scholarship to Justin Clark.

Averett University presented merit awards to students attending the fall. The total amount is over a four year period. Grey Capozzoli $80,000, Sal Costagliola $64,000, Taylor Ellis $64,000, Tessa Kaesmeyer $60,000, Hallie Klauss $84,000, Makayla Law $64,000, Victoria Lovern $92,000, Madison Marlowe $56,000, Megan Saunders $70,000, George Sieg $66,000, and Jordan Walker $70,000.

Sianna Adams was recognized as the top female GPA from Shiloh Missionary Baptist Church.

The URW Credit Union awarded six scholarships for $500 to Megan Saunders, Makayla Crumpton, Bryashia Jones, Jordan Walker, and Tyler Jarrett.

The DAR Good Citizenship Award was given to Justin Fuller.

Kaitlyn Ritchie received the Rebekah Heldreth Memorial Scholarship for $1,000 from the Dry Fork Ruritan Club.

Lauren Jackson and Kelci Pool were recognized for two awards each from the Delta Sigma Theta Sorority and the Danville Chapter of Links, Inc.

Mrs. Kristal Harris presented the Farm Bureau award of $500 to Zoey White.

The Pittsylvania County Branch of the NAACP recognized O’niandra Jennings with a $500 scholarship.

Lauren Jackson and O’niandra Jennings were both awarded the Dream Maker Scholarship awards from Tunstall alumni Jeffrey Millner.

Sgt Anthony Waldrep presented the Jerome Hatfield Scholarship of Honor in memory of Master Sergeant Hatfield, who was a Tunstall graduate who was killed in Afghanistan.  Jordan Walker received this scholarship of honor.

The Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority recognized Sianna Adams and Leslie Kyla Hughes, giving $1,000 each in scholarship money.

The Trojan Club scholarships were presented to Tunstall athletes who will be continuing their athletic careers at the collegiate level. Recipients were Lane Pritchett, Grey Capozzoli, Tessa Kaesmeyer, Will Davis, Jackson Clark, and Tanner Bray.

The Riverview Rotary Club presented Lexi Toufas with a scholarship of $1,000.

Bryashia Jones and Lauren Jackson were recognized by their pastor with a scholarship.

The Southside High School Alumni recognized Alexis Hairston with a scholarship for $1,000.

Pittsylvania County Career and Technical awards were presented to outstanding students in Teachers for Tomorrow, Makayla Woods; Mechanical Automation and Robotics, Perry White; EMT, Makayla Hyler; Nurse Aide, Hayley Woods; and Cosmetology, Liz Tiznado.

The JROTC presented awards John Tyler and Taylor Bryant.  Colonel King also presented a personally hand-crafted belt buckle to Jalen Moore that he presents to any Tunstall students entering VMI in the fall.

Department awards were presented to juniors and seniors who were outstanding in each subject area.

Mrs. Emily Potts presented special gifts to the three Tunstall students who will be attending Meredith College in the fall: Morgan Harris, Kenzie Hill, and Allie Gentry.

Dr. Jessica Jones also presented scholarships for $500 on behalf of Cherrystone Veterinary Clinic to Zoey White and Kayla Wyatt.

Will Davis and Tessa Kaesmeyer were recognized as the male and female athletes of the year.

School spirit awards were given to Cayla Fuqua, Mya Godwin, Jackson Clark, and Jacob Keatts.

Seventy-five names were called for juniors on the honor roll. One hundred and twelve names were announced for seniors on the honor roll, while 122 honor graduates were asked to stand.

Perfect attendance was awarded to many juniors and seniors including 13 years of perfect attendance to Grayson Elliott, O’niandra Jennings, and Myles Pyrtle.

Leadership and principal’s awards were given to Jordan Keatts and A. J. Vincent. Trojan PRIDE awards were announced for Lia Haskins and Sean Gunter.

Nine students were recognized for receiving concurrent diplomas from Danville Community College.

Emma Hale was announced as the valedictorian of Governor’s School, and Seth Stowe was announced as the salutatorian.

The four valedictorians for Tunstall were recognized: Lexi Toufas, Tyler Jarrett, Seth Stowe, and Reese McQuaid.

The ceremony concluded with Jordan Keatts recognizing the administration and senior counselor Jan Daniel.