Students weigh in on election results

November 3 and November 7 were historic days for the United States of America. During such an uncertain time, elections added on to the worries of many. THS students had many opinions on how the local, state, and national elections went. Here are their opinions.

Danville Casino Referendum Passes

After months of discussion whether or not there should be a casino in Danville, the residents voted, and the referendum was passed. With 13,022 citizens voting for and 5,941 voting against, Caesars Entertainment is now working on the next step in their plan, buying the property. 

“I have no moral opposition to the casino or gambling, but do I think that you can build a sustainable economy around a casino? No,” said senior Jacob Harris. 

US Senate

Senator Mark Warner won his reelection with 55.8% of votes, which allows him to proceed with a third term. Republican Daniel Gade tweeted afterwards, “I will never stop fighting for our country and for the Constitution which sustains it, but this race is over.” 

Senior Jack Donahue was surprised by the results of the election, “I was shocked to see that Gade put up that much of a fight. I figured Warner was going to win by a lot more.”

US House

Republican Robert Good won with 52.7% of the votes while opponent Cameron Webb had 47.3%. A lot of locals are happy that they no longer have to listen to local commercials. . 

“The 5th district house seat, which is routinely Republican, followed the predictable outcome with larger margins favoring Good,” said senior Karington Brooks. 

President & Vice President

Former Vice President Joe Biden and running partner Kamala Harris were named President-Elect and Vice President-Elect on Saturday November 7. President Trump tweeted an hour before the race was called that he had won the election by a lot. While battling for the swing states with President Donald Trump, Biden won Pennsylvania, leading him to victory. While many remained anxious as votes were counted, THS students remained patient. 

“President Trump and Joe Biden are neck-and-neck in the race right now, and I am eager to see what will transpire in the days to come,” said senior Landon McGuire on Wednesday.

“I think that while there are a lot of bumps and obstacles, in the end election officials are going to bring everything back to a more ‘normal’ election and ensure all the votes are counted,” said freshman Harrison Prien. 

Even though there is an official president-elect, there is still uncertainty caused by President Trump’s lawsuits regarding mail-in-ballots. 

If President Trump’s lawsuits do not prevail, former Vice President Joe Biden along with Kamala Harris will be sworn into office on Inauguration Day, January 20, 2021.