Ben White - Unsplash

The great Christmas debate

November 24, 2020

Thanksgiving is only a few days away, but many people seem to have shifted their focus to Christmas. Is it too early? Or is it already time to be Merry and Bright?

Chill, it’s not December yet

Santas+have+been+on+display+in+stores+since+October.+

Adrian Nester

Santas have been on display in stores since October.

Every year people start celebrating Christmas way too early. From hanging their Christmas lights on their house to dragging out the family’s fake Christmas tree, everyone seems to get into the Christmas spirit around Halloween time. As soon as Halloween items are 70% off, stores stock up on the next holiday. The problem is, the next holiday isn’t Christmas! 

Commercials about the “perfect presents” start to air while it is still 70 degrees outside. It is not yet even Thanksgiving, but the majority of America is getting ready for the holidays. 

Stores are already decorated for Christmas with Christmas blow ups and artificial trees. Walmart, for example, has blow up snowmen. It seems like the school supplies and bathing suits are still up while they are stocking the stores with Christmas decorations, artificial trees, and wreaths.  

People totally avoid the fact that Thanksgiving is an important holiday. People love to not get excited for Thanksgiving and pay more attention to Christmas.

Christmas is a wonderful time to be with your family and celebrate the birth of Jesus. However, on Thanksgiving Day your Christmas tree should not be up! Thanksgiving is for coming together despite our differences, so it is a wonderful holiday with its own reasons to celebrate (even if that looks a little different during a pandemic). It’s important to make the distinction between the two holidays for the different meanings behind them.

I get a little annoyed when I see yards and houses full of decorations in November. The only time you should be able to decorate for Christmas is a week before! December 18 should be the first acceptable day to be able to set up your Christmas tree and lights and to start binging Christmas movies.

Christmas movies are something that are also celebrated too early. Once it is November 1st everyone is signing into Netflix and watching “The Grinch.” Now, we get it, there are not very many Thanksgiving movies, but don’t you get sick on watching Christmas movies with the same-ish plot for two straight months? 

Christmas music adds a whole additional issue. The holiday music usually starts around the end of October. Roanoke based station Q99 is already playing Christmas music non-stop before Thanksgiving even gets here! Pump the brakes on Rudolph and that annoying hippopotamus song! 

Maybe you want to call us “Grinch,” but, the fact is, Americans start the Christmas cheer too early.