Tunstall High School

Reasons to stay at Tunstall

Students who stay at the base school all day have the opportunity to take Advanced Placement (AP) classes. These classes are through the College Board and can help save money, earn college credits, and stand out to colleges when the time for applications comes. The tests vary by subject but usually consist of multiple choice questions and some free response or long answer questions as well. THS offers AP Language and Composition, AP Literature and Composition, AP Calculus, AP US History, AP Government, AP Biology, and more are offered through Virtual Virginia. These classes can potentially save students thousands of dollars in college if the tests are passed.

AP classes are a great way to prepare for college while staying in the base school. The different teachers and classes use their given coursework to create a rigorous college-level schedule.  These classes are meant to prepare students for further education, and higher level institutions are more likely to accept AP credits. 

Dual enrollment credits are also offered at THS and are worth college credits. Most Virginia schools will accept the transfer credits and can knock out some base college credits. Some benefits of dual enrollment are getting college-level classes without leaving THS, gaining experience with college-level coursework, and getting a head start toward a college degree. 

Another opportunity that is available for students are courses enrolled under Virtual Virginia. Students have the ability to take courses online that aren’t offered in person: AP psychology, AP micro and macro biology, AP human geography, etc. 

Students spend a whole class block in Mr. Bray’s room taking their courses asynchronously, at their own pace. Lessons are taught through videos, discussion boards, quizzes, FRQ’s, online worksheets, and by reading lesson plans. Grades are based on points and are not converted into percentages: for example, 34/40 or 12/15. Students also must complete the full course three weeks ahead of time because Virtual Virginia courses end after the end of the school year

Students that go to the Piedmont Governor’s school or the Academy of Engineering and Technology may still take some AP courses at Tunstall, but some of the experiences of staying back are lost in the process. Those students may miss the opportunity to have some great teachers and great experiences. Students that stay here also have the advantage of hearing the morning announcements and may feel more connected with the school and their clubs.

“Students should be able to relax a bit in school and enjoy their years in high school. My decision to stay at Tunstall was a great choice. I had the ability to have some of my favorite teachers in this school. I got the opportunity to take wonderful electives that I fell in love with. The only downside to staying back is not being at the tip top of my class. Not being in the top ten of my class is something I don’t care about. I am still very successful with being #25 and getting accepted into UVA and Virginia Tech,” said Christopher Flores-Bravo.

“Taking AP classes and being able to be at THS all day has made me more connected to my school. I have been able to meet copious amounts of new people, and I have been exposed to different electives and subjects that I wouldn’t have been able to experience without being at THS. I did not want to take classes that were super competitive, but I wanted to take classes that would set me up for furthering my education. I still was accepted into Virginia Tech and the University of South Carolina while only taking classes at THS. I passed my AP exams last year, and now I will not have to take some basic level college courses,” said Ella Brooks.

$50
$500