Honoring Mrs. Ardane Mills

Mrs. Mills teaches government to first semester students.

Sunday morning took the life of a dedicated and compassionate teacher, Mrs. Ardane Barbour Mills, and sent the school into mourning the next day. Students and staff alike walked the halls with heavy hearts, the gray, foggy weather matching the tone set within classrooms.

Truly an educator at heart, Mills taught government and psychology in Pittsylvania County for twenty seven years, beginning her career with a Bachelor of Arts degree from Radford University. She taught at Gretna and Tunstall High School, ending her legacy as a Trojan of ten years. When needed, she also took on the extra hours of helping homebound students. “As a co-worker, she was very dedicated in her classroom,” said Mrs. Tara Mills, “I will remember that Mrs. A. Mills was very adamant about the subject she taught, very passionate about government.”

Along with being a life-long instructor, Mills left behind two children, Shawn and Kristy Mills, and six grandchildren.

“I’ve known her for a long time. She’s been a family friend for a while,” said senior Cassidy Bowles, who met Mills when she took her grandchildren to Whitmell Christian Church. “She was a kind-hearted person who genuinely cared about her students.”

Principal Brian Boles gently broke the news to each of Mrs. Mills’ classes on Monday, February 22, where Mrs. Marcie Gunter will step in for her three government classes until a full-time replacement is found. February 23’s moment of silence was also dedicated to the late teacher, as student and staff’s heads bowed with the weight of her memory.

Just down the hall, Mrs. Rachel Stowe had been friends with Mills for thirty-five years, commenting, “It’s been a lifetime.” She also met Mills through Whitmell Christian Church. “We always had lots to share and talk about. Something was always happening.” Stowe will remember her “as a dear friend and dedicated co-worker.”

Mrs. Gunter, who has been substituting for Mills off and on since early October, plans to help with her three government classes until a full-time substitute is found, saying, “I’m very comfortable subbing for her.” Gunter also made a wreath that currently hangs on Mills’ door, weaved with red and silver thread, honoring A101 and the Trojan who taught within.

Gunter spoke to Mills on Wednesday, February 17, over the phone about the progress of her classes. Mills was quick to thank her, exclaiming, “I’m so thankful for you taking care of my babies!”

Visitation will take place on Wednesday, February 24, from 7-8:30 at Norris Funeral Home. Funeral services will follow the next day on February 25 at 11:00 at the Norris Funeral Home Chapel, with interment at Barbour Family Cemetery in Callands.