Girls don’t play like a girl: powder-puff football

Megan+Saunders%2C+Makayla+Law%2C+Destiney+Duncan%2C+and+Destiny+Fore+were+some+of+the+juniors+who+participated.+

Megan Saunders, Makayla Law, Destiney Duncan, and Destiny Fore were some of the juniors who participated.

On Thursday, Oct. 6, the 2016 Powder-puff football game was played at THS. This is the sixth time since 2006 that the game was held; the game was not held last year. The event was made possible with the help of student volunteers and faculty. All of the teams were coached by players from the JV or Varsity Football team by their respective grade level. Trojans head coach David Potts and junior McKinley Payne were the two referees calling the games. The juniors pulled off an upset, defeating the seniors 7-0 in the championship game.

“Everyone likes to have fun during an off week,” said Potts “It raises money for the Trojan Club scholarship fund for our seniors that are graduating that are going play a sport in college. The girls like to have fun on a Thursday night and it always gets a little rougher than what you like, but it shows their passion for the game.”

Seniors 15, Freshman 0

8:46 – 60 yard run from Aiyana Layne

5:45 – Logan Patterson: eight yard touchdown 7-0

5:16 – Brianna Mills: interception

4:50 – Caroline Meyer to Sydney Liles: 12 yard pass

2:05 – Patterson: six yard touchdown 13-0

2:00 – Layne: two point conversion 15-0

13.1 seconds – Taylor Culpepper: interception

End of first half

1:02 – Mills: interception

Juniors 21, Sophomores 7

9:46 –  Tearia DeJarnette to Grey Capozzoli: 53 yard touchdown pass 7-0

4:00 –  Tessa Kaesmeyer: 45 yard run

2.1 seconds – Alexis Guill to Taylor Henderson: 70 yard touchdown pass 7-7

End of first half

8: 26 – Kaesmeyer: interception and returned it for an 35 yard touchdown 14-7

2:50 – Brandi Beckelheimer: 30 yard touchdown 21-7

Consolation game: Freshmen 21, Sophomores 14

With the game time at 14 at the end of regulation, both teams had a shot at sudden death (sudden death is when the ball is placed at the 3-yard line and each team has a chance to score. Whoever scores first wins the game). Freshman Jayla Crews scored the game inning touchdown for the Freshmen class

Championship game: Juniors 7, Seniors 0

Sudden death became the deciding decision for the championship game. After the game ended in regulation  at zero, the seniors failed to convert on their first attempt. The juniors, however, were victorious in the end after Beckelheimer ran up the middle for the touchdown.

Although the Powder-puff game was entertaining to watch, the boys will be back on Friday, Oct. 14 to play their sixth game of the season. The game will be at Halifax County.

Teachers 7, Juniors 6

The Juniors took on the Teachers after their big win against the Seniors, but it was cut short with the Teachers defeating them 7-6. The Juniors were still considered the overall winners at the end of the night. The money raised from the Powder-puff game will go towards scholarships given to senior athletes by the Trojan Club. Mrs. Potts said that they raised just a little shy of $1,400, which will be given out later this year.

All of the teachers were overwhelmingly excited and said that they would absolutely do it again. When asked if it was a challenge, Mrs. Hardy said, “Oh no, the teachers were beasty, we were on fire. It was no challenge at all.”

Mrs. Mills said, “I love to participate in school activities and I love football. Anything Mrs. Potts asks me to do, I will. We’re a family and a community. It’s much more than a job.” Mrs. Harris also strongly stated that they did not cheat!