Memories from the Past: Fifty Years Ago

Catherine Allen

Norma Allen, Tunstall graduate, reminisces on her high school experience by looking through the first edition of the yearbook, The Iliad.

Norma Jo Tuck was a member of the first freshman class at Tunstall High School and graduated in 1968. She enrolled at Averett College and received a degree in elementary education. She earned her masters in Education from North Carolina State University. After teaching in Caswell County for thirty-seven years, Norma Allen retired on July 1, 2013.

“As a freshman in 1964to 1965, it was important that we develop friendships with students that had previously attended Brosville and Whitmell. This experience helped us develop socially. I was fortunate to have had very caring teachers that helped me acquire a quality education. this education allowed me to continue my schooling at Averett College and become a teacher.”

“From the beginning, it was a beautiful facility and was huge in comparison to Brosville School,” said Allen. “The school had modern labs, kitchens, large classrooms, and was surrounded by red open fields. With two schools combining,” Allen said, “I was concerned how large the student body would affect close friendships.”

When she was asked how the school met her expectations, she exclaimed that it exceeded her predictions. The facility and staff enabled her to persue a quality education and lasting friendships.

“My favorite high school memory would have been when our senior class went to Fairystone State Park for Class Day. It was a perfect day of fun in the sun, food, and reminiscing of past humorous and sad events of our experiences as Tunstall High School students.

Her two inspirational teachers were Mrs. Linda Maxey, P.E teacher, and Mrs. Mozelle Oakes, Home and Economics teacher. both were instrumental in helping me develop life skills, as well as understanding our increasing responsibility of living a healthy and productive life.”