School Board makes a decision to keep Spring Break

On Tuesday night, the Pittsylvania County School Board made a decision on how the days missed due to inclement weather would be made up. Reactions resulting from this decision have ranged from positive, to negative, to even being indifferent on the issue.

The decision made at the school board meeting was to extend the school day by 30 minutes Monday through Thursday from March 31 through April 17. As a result of this, students get their whole spring break back, but still must go to school on Good Friday and Easter Monday, April 18 and 21.

This is an issue for some high school students because of after-school jobs. Junior Michael Hensley works at Food Lion, and sometimes is scheduled to work as early as 4:00 in the afternoon. “I would rather go on the extra days, that way I still have freedom after 3:10.”

Junior Parker Powell has a similar issue. “I have to work almost every day after school. If I have to change my schedule, it will affect the other employees.”

However, other students are not as concerned about the extra time being added to the school day.

Many families make plans to travel or get away over spring break, and now those students don’t have to worry about missing school. “I am glad that they gave back our break days over spring break because I have plans to go out of town for a couple days,” said junior Conner Vandenburg.

Sophomore Blake Adkins is also happy about getting spring break back. “I’m glad they gave back spring break because I didn’t want any zeroes for missing those days.”

The new college adviser, Ms. Amber Hamilton, better known as Ms. Hamm, said she was surprised the adding 30 extra minutes to the school day was not already happening.

In addition to those who thought positively of the decision, there were also some people who remained neutral with the situation.

“It doesn’t matter to me since I’m a senior. I mean, they could add days past our graduation and I wouldn’t really care,” said senior Jason Yancey.

Junior Ariana Santiago held the same attitude, but with a slightly different approach. She said that since she gets out of school for co-op, she really does not care, because 30 extra minutes to the school day would not affect her much.

Whether people agree or disagree, the extra time will be implemented from March 31 through April 17, 2014.