Bringing history to life: keeping up with “Mama Watson”

“I don’t care about having a lot of money as long as I’m successful. I’m only successful if my students are.”

History teacher Mrs. Jennifer Watson has been teaching for 22 years. Before coming to THS, she taught at Dan River High School and Chatham High School. She has been a Trojan for a total of 12 years, but took a break to teach at Tunstall Middle School and Kentuck Elementary (as a gifted teacher).

Although Watson loves her career, she did not always dream of becoming a teacher.

“My mother was a teacher and who wants to follow in their parents’ footsteps?”

Watson originally wanted to become a lawyer, more specifically, a defense attorney. After working for a law firm one summer, she decided the career was not for her.

“I learned that it would be harder to have a social life as a private attorney,” said Watson.

Watson attended Radford University and double majored in history and social sciences. She chose to be a Radford Highlander because of their strong history department and teaching program.

Watson teaches history because of her love for storytelling and how she can retell the past to help her students understand today’s world.

“I love the look on my students’ faces when I tell them a story from the past. The look of joy and understanding is why I love doing what I’m doing,” she said.

Watson also tries to incorporate life lessons while teaching history. A mix of a lively attitude and brutal honesty can go a long way in her classroom.

Along with her love for American history, she makes sure to show love for each student that walks into her room. She believes that if a teacher works hard for a student, then the student will respond in the same way. This logic has proven to be successful in her classroom.

“I’m fun before and after class, but once that bell rings, I’m all business,” said Watson.

Many students refer to Watson as “Mama Watson.” She believes this is because of her readiness for any dilemma that is brought to her attention. She is willing to give anything from Band-Aids to advice if this means helping a student. Watson also tries to support her students outside of the classroom.

“Whether it’s a ball game or a church service, I will be there for my students. I want them to know someone cares, that I care,” she said.

Watson also pushes the idea of tolerance in the classroom.

“I don’t care if you’re black, white, blue, or purple – everyone deserves an education.”

Although teaching may have not been Watson’s original plan, she enjoys her career and has positively impacted many students throughout the years. She plans to continue storytelling and revisiting the past by teaching history.

“I will keep telling [these] stories until I find them boring myself,” said Watson.