Seniors recognized at Graduate of Merit ceremony

Seniors+Lexi+Toufas+and+Kaitlyn+Brinkley+take+a+picture+after+the+ceremony.+

Contributed photo

Seniors Lexi Toufas and Kaitlyn Brinkley take a picture after the ceremony.

On Thursday, 129 seniors from all four county schools gathered at Averett University North’s Grant Center for the 19th annual Graduate of Merit recognition banquet/ceremony.

Graduate of Merit is awarded to seniors who qualified in several categories throughout their time in high school. The categories include GPA, total courses, coursework, attendance, conduct, community service hours, and extracurricular activities. Points are earned for each category and they must add up to at least 170 points for a student to be a candidate.

As students and their two guests arrived, they were led to tables where they were seated with their sponsors.

The event began at 6p.m. with Ms. B Teresa Petty, Assistant Superintendent for Instruction, welcoming everyone. The presentation of colors was by the Chatham High School JROTC. The invocation was led by Dr. Lillian Holland, Assistant Superintendent for Administration.

After the welcome, presentation of colors, and invocation, dinner was held. The food was catered by Gentleman’s Ridge.

After dinner, the recognition ceremony began. All Graduate of Merit candidates’ senior pictures and accomplishments in high school were shown on a screen as the students received their plaques from their sponsors. The plaques include the student’s name, school, and his or her sponsor’s name.

Following this, students were asked to stand if they received the following scholarships: community scholarships, Danville Community College Educational Foundation, Averett University, and Liberty University.

Five scholarships were announced at the ceremony including the Above and Beyond Volunteer Service Award Scholarships, The Institute for Advanced Learning and Research STEM scholarships, Essel Propack Manufacturing Excellence Scholarships, James E. McDaniel 212 awards, and the prestigious pinnacle award. The pinnacle award was given to Chatham High School senior Karen Sanchez Godinez.

Following closing remarks, Dr. Mark R. Jones, Division Superintendent led the bestowing of medallions. During this time, students and their guests were asked to rise. Guests were given the honor of placing the medallions around their student’s neck.

After the ceremony concluded, many students lingered around to take pictures with friends and family. Professional pictures by Alan Dalton will be sent to students in a few weeks, in addition to a recording of the ceremony.

Click here to get the Trojan Messenger in your inbox once a week.