Kneeling: Protesting or Problem?

September 10, 2018

For the last two years there has been major conflict with behavior during the national anthem. In 2016, quarterback Colin Kaepernick started kneeling during a NFL game to protest against police brutality, since then others have joined him.  Now, many people have different opinions on whether to kneel or not to kneel.

Brandon Harris

To Kneel

In 2016, quarterback Colin Kaepernick took a knee during the national anthem at a  NFL preseason game, and for the last two years there has been major controversy in the United States over the behavior someone should display during the national anthem. There is nothing wrong with sitting or kneeling during the national anthem because it is a peaceful protest and it could be protesting anything.

The national anthem is important to our country just as each individual citizen and their feelings and opinions are important. A person could wake up one morning and see something on television about the country that makes them decide not to participate in the national anthem that day.

It should be up to each individual person with how he/she chooses to respond to the national anthem. There are many reasons why one might not want to stand during the national anthem. The United States is not always a fair nation when it comes to making a decision on topics or issues, so not everyone can have their own way. A person decides not to stand to make a statement, rather than being rude or disrespectful.

When this happens, there is definitely a lot of attention drawn to this person. Sometimes the attention is negative, while other reactions show more approval.. When someone refuses to stand for the national anthem, he/she is not just making a statement to the United States, but they are also supporting what they believe in and acting out two of their first amendment rights – free speech and a peaceful protest.

When someone decides not to stand it should not start violence or cause negative attention, as it is their First Amendment right. Sitting during the national anthem is not a sign of disrespect to anyone, and should not cause any conflict. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion on how they feel about an issue or event. If U.S Citizens did not act on their 1st Amendment rights, then this country would be stagnant. There would have never been any protests, marches, sit-ins, or movements. There would have never been such thing as moving forward or progressing for the United States; and progress is what makes this country famous.

Just because someone decides to remain seated during the national anthem does not mean they get to be rude or interrupt those that are standing by making a scene.  Same applies for those who are standing. The national anthem should always be a peaceful time for everyone, standing,  sitting, or kneeling. Whether a person sits or stands during the national anthem should not bring him/her any judgement.

It is just a peaceful protest.