Dakota Wilson salutes the flag. (Amanda Field)
Dakota Wilson salutes the flag.

Amanda Field

Patriot Day: 9/11 ceremony held

September 11, 2018

Tunstall High School students gathered in the gymnasium Sept. 11, 2018, in honor of those who lost their lives on this day in 2001. Although 17 years ago, a lifetime for many of the students, this tragic event has not been forgotten.

This ceremony was organized by Colonel King, Sergeant Major Royall, and their JROTC students.  “When the president said ‘We won’t forget’ this holds a special sentiment for me,” said Royall. 

With school beginning about a month ago, very little time was available to plan for an event with as much purpose and value as this one.

To begin the ceremony, the nation’s colors were recognized by the JROTC group. In respect to the flag, students stood while the marching band played the National Anthem. Dakota Wilson is the battalion commander for JROTC and said “I wanted to bring awareness to terrorism.” 

The student representative to the Pittsylvania County School Board, Lauren Van Allen, led the crowd in the Pledge of Allegiance.

Principal Brian Boles then gave a speech in which he spoke of his personal thoughts and feelings when this tragedy occured. He states that he still remembers to this day what he was doing on Sept. 11, 2001, when the twin towers fell. He encouraged other staff members to recount what they were doing during this tragic event.

Veterans and others who have served our country were given recognition and applauded when told to stand. These people, acknowledging events such as 9/11, still choose to risk their lives’ in order to protect our country.

Colonel King followed up Boles’ speech to speak not only of his personal experience, but more of the history that is attached to this day. “It meant a lot to me personally. When I visited the Flight 93 Memorial in Pennsylvania, I really got a sense of what happened and felt a connection to it,” said King.  

By relating the times in which students arrived at school to the time of the first plane crash, for example, King explains how quickly this event happened and how easily our lives can be changed.  

“In less than three hours the attack was over, and our nation was forever changed,” said King.

Colonel King speaks of how the American flag predates to the American Revolution. The flag is of great importance and is a symbol of how Americans take pride in our country.

“The flag came down on 9/11, but it didn’t stay down for long,” said King. This statement helps to show how strong our country is and how it comes together during a time of a tragedy.

Colonel King left the audience with the “final image” of the flag followed by a moment of silence in remembrance of our country being strengthened through this crisis.

Students, though they may not have been born, continue to learn more and more about this part of history in which the people around them may have experienced.        

“Everyone was very respectful,” said freshman Madison Frazier who experienced the annual ceremony for the first time.

The ceremony closed with junior Josh Simmons and freshman Kasie Shelton playing taps.  “This means a lot. I have a lot people in my family who served in the military. It was a great honor to play as well as to pay tribute to their careers in the military,” said Shelton.