Trojan Messenger

Trojans drop season finale against Franklin County

Ben Cifers running the ball

Ben Cifers running the ball

Brett Adams

Brett Adams

Ben Cifers running the ball

Nick Rekowski, Reporter

In front of a solid crowd on Thursday, Nov. 2 the JV Trojans hosted their final game of the season against the Franklin County Eagles. The Trojans left it all out on the field, but it wasn’t enough in the end as they fell victim to defeat 12-47. Ending the season with a final record of 2-8.

The first quarter started off with a failed fourth down conversion attempt that gave the Eagles possession. Driving down the field in less than 90 seconds, the Eagles started off the scoring for the night, putting the Trojans in a 0-6 hole early. The Trojans would answer back with freshman running back Damani Hairston breaking off a touchdown run that went for 47 yards, tying the score 6-6. After looking as if they could potentially hold the Eagles, the opposition broke through with their second score of the night, leaving the Trojans facing a 6-13 deficit after one.

The second quarter saw Franklin County light up the scoreboard, more specifically later on in the quarter. Following another touchdown from Damani Hairston at the 4:30 mark of the quarter, the Trojans trailed 12-13. That’s when things became very shaky for the Trojans. After allowing a big score with just under three minutes left in the quarter, the Trojans sat in a 12-19 hole. The next Trojan possession went awry when a bad snap resulted in another Franklin County touchdown, which put the Trojans in an even deeper hole at 12-25. After another failed fourth down conversion, the Eagles set up shop in the Trojans territory, and as the clock hit triple zeroes the Eagles scored yet again, leaving the score at 12-32 headed into the half.

The third quarter started slow, with neither team scoring for almost six minutes. That is until the Eagles scored their sixth touchdown of the night, and following a successful two point conversion attempt, the Trojans deficit increased to 12-40. The Trojans were unable to score on any of their possessions in the third.

The fourth quarter started with the Eagles scoring 54 seconds into the quarter, increasing the Trojan deficit to a score 12-47 and ending the scoring for the night. The Trojans, following suit with the third quarter, were stopped on all of their drives in the quarter.

“We’ve just gotta focus on getting bigger and better, just keep grinding,” said freshman Darren Averett on the focus for next season.

Although the JV Trojans are finished for the year, the varsity Trojans will be playing in the first round of the playoffs on Friday, Nov. 9 at 7 p.m., location to be determined.

Nick Rekowski, Reporter

Nick Rekowski is a senior at Tunstall High School. This is his first year on the Trojan Messenger staff. Outside of school, he enjoys playing basketball,...

Brett Adams, Reporter

Brett Adams is a sophomore at Tunstall High School. This is his first year partaking as a member of the Trojan Messenger Staff. He enjoys boating, hiking,...