Trojan Messenger

Reviving Danville with Art

Owner%2C+Cheryl+Sutherland%2C+in+front+of+a+painted+%22Art.%22+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Reviving Danville with Art

Owner, Cheryl Sutherland, in front of a painted

Owner, Cheryl Sutherland, in front of a painted "Art."

Amanda Talbott, Features Editor

When anyone walks into the Main Street Art Collective store, they will instantly see the ambitious, bubbly Cheryl Sutherland. Sutherland has created a wonderful atmosphere of creativity for all ages.

“I want to encourage all artists,” said Sutherland.

The handmade-jewelry stand

Looking around the shop, paintings are only one part to the big equation. The store is filled with re-purposed clothes, jewelry, and even amazing purses made from newspaper.

The jewelry is made from anything between motorcycle parts to dresses. Since every piece is made from re-purposed items, each piece is unique.

“I just really like fun and colorful things that make you feel good, and I really like the idea of re-purposing. If I could do a whole store of re-purposing, that’s what I’d really do.”

“RVR CTY” and more Danville shirts

Main Street Art Collective is a very unique store. When Sutherland talks about her store, everyone can see the fiery passion she has for it. She not only thinks about her store, but the surrounding community and other people in need. Main Street Art Collective also has shirts that represent and show love to the Danville community. The most sold shirt, it seems, is a black shirt with yellow lettering saying, “RVR CTY.”

At the Main Street Art Collective store, Sutherland has a collection to the immediate left once entering the store. This collection consists of purses made from newspaper and more mind-blowing re-purposed, handmade items. Profits from these items go into an organization which goes out of country to teach people how to live sustainable.  

“This whole thing is about giving back, about community, and about encouraging other people.”

Sutherland’s store not only offers clothing, jewelry, and paintings, but she has classes every weekend. Her classes consist of a wonderful variety from fused glass bowls and essential oils, to painting.

“We’ll have a good variety of all different kinds of classes; just some different stuff.”

16-year-old’s re-purposed clothes

Sutherland encourages young artists to “not be scared and think outside of the box.” Sutherland has re-purposed clothes in her store which was designed by a 16-year-old artist.

“There’s no age limit.”

The process to get an artist’s work into Sutherland’s store, Main Street Art Collective, consists of talking to her, getting information about her expectations and the store, and signing a consignment where she gets 30% of the profit.

With being on main street next to Dell’ Anno’s, Sutherland gets a variety of people, and her bubbly personality greets everyone with a full heart.

One highlight she mentions is that she gets to “meet people from all different walks of life.” Sutherland is very devoted to her customers. When emailing back and forth for scheduling, Sutherland makes it clear that customers are a number one priority.

The store is located at 326 Main Street Unit 100 Danville, Virginia 2454.

To contact her: email: [email protected] phone: (434) 250-5512 Facebook: Main Street Art Collective

Amanda Talbott, Features Editor

Amanda Talbott is a junior at Tunstall High School, and this is her first year on the staff. Amanda enjoys her various after school activities which include,...

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Reviving Danville with Art”

1. Cheryl Sutherland on December 3rd, 2018 7:32 pm

I appreciate Amanda wanting to come do a story about my shop! I do want to clarify that the name of the shop is not “Art”, it is “Main Street Art Collective” and my correct email is [email protected]

Thank you,
    Cheryl Sutherland

2. Amanda Field on December 4th, 2018 2:12 pm

Thank you so much for your clarifications. We are happy to make these corrections!

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

*

• Reviving Danville with Art

Features

Remembering the legacy of Mr. Edwin Newnam

• Reviving Danville with Art

Features

Hitting the books with Linda Yeatts

• Reviving Danville with Art

Features

Guill manages hectic life as a Governor’s School student

• Reviving Danville with Art

Features

Cotton serves heavenly Sunday brunch

• Reviving Danville with Art

Features

Kayleigh “KB” Griffith returns for varsity basketball

• Reviving Danville with Art

Features

Mrs. Calloway lends a helping hand in special education

• Reviving Danville with Art

Features

Mrs. Mills’ takes on countrywide adventures

• Reviving Danville with Art

Features

Stowe cantering through the years with horses

• Reviving Danville with Art

Features

Brooks deals with scoliosis

• Reviving Danville with Art

Features

Kensley Yeatts makes time for it all

Reviving Danville with Art