Trojan Messenger

‘Fantastic Beasts’ continues the legacy of the wizarding world

Image+is+labeled+for+noncommercial+reuse+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Image is labeled for noncommercial reuse

Lexie Wilmoth, Reporter

Despite the many biased, negative reviews it received, Fantastic Beasts: Crimes of Grindelwald deserves a lot more credit than it is given.

The movie, which premiered on Nov. 16, 2018, has been much awaited by both new and old Harry Potter fans.

The movie starts where the last Fantastic Beasts movie ended, and immediately dives into the wonderful wizarding world that many have come to know and love. The action is certainly quick to kick in, as the viewer will see an action packed mid-air fight scene with Grindelwald in the forefront.

Crimes of Grindewald also brings something new to the table with the compelling storytelling. It is far from boring, and has many plot twists that make the movie unpredictable. Crimes of Grindelwald does an excellent job of pacing itself and moving the plot along smoothly without getting muddled. At some points the plot seems to meander a bit off track, but this has purpose; and the viewer later finds out that it leads to a much bigger piece of the story.

Along with new parts of the Fantastic Beasts universe that one gets to enjoy during this movie, they also get a blast from the past as the much younger Dumbledore, played by Jude Law, is introduced to the story along with the ever-famous Hogwarts castle. The small, nostalgic details that harken back to the original saga are definitely pieces that cater toward the Harry Potter fans and help to make the movie shine.

Crimes of Grindelwald also did a stellar job on expanding some smaller parts and answering questions that were left over from the Harry Potter series, like where Dumbledore’s phoenix came from and where Nagini came from. However, it produced just as many new questions that have yet to be answered.

The small details aren’t all that make the movie, though. As said in the title of the movie, the beasts were fantastic and imaginative. The sets for the movie were very impressive and lavish, and really helped to set the vibe for the scenes of the movie. It was nothing short of what one would expect for such a complex world.

What really makes this movie so great is the well written characters, and the actors who play them. Although his role in the film was rather controversial, Johnny Depp showed off his years of skill in his role of Grindelwald, the movie’s main villain. Eddie Redmayne also returned to fill the role as the main protagonist, Newt Scamander.

Complete with a compelling plot, beautiful imagery, and intricate details, Fantastic Beasts: Crimes of Grindelwald surely lived up to the hype that surrounded it, and is sure to please both short-term and long-term fans.