Rachel’s Challenge presented

Last week, THS had a presentation about Rachel Joy Scott, the first victim in the Columbine shooting in ‘99. This shooting was the deadliest occurrence to happen in the United States before 9/11. In this presentation, the presenter, J.B., talks about Rachel’s life and the kindness she displayed to others.

Rachel was described as kind and compassionate. She stuck up for others by protecting a person from being bullied, which saved his life. Even after her passing, she has altered so many more lives, including people at Tunstall.

Before her death, she wrote an essay about someone starting a chain reaction of kindness and compassion. She believed if someone did something nice for someone else, it would emotionally motivate them to do the same, starting a chain reaction in the world.

This along with other goals Rachel set herself; she aspired to leave her touch on the world, and she achieved just that.

The goals she had for herself and others included: 

1. Look for the best in others
  2. Dream big
  3. Choose positive influences
  4. Speak with kindness
  5. Start your own chain reaction

After the presentation, students left the auditorium with teary eyes. One student, Heidi Ellis, shared her thoughts and emotions on the topic.

“I think it touched a lot of hearts,” said Ellis. 

With these goals in mind, Ellis accepted the challenge and signed the banner THS has set out for those who accept the challenge and wanted to put it in writing. 

“The rules give you something to think about, like, the things you do and say,” said Ellis.

Ellis left with the words to readers: “Being kind is really important. Kindness goes a long way. Jesus loves you!”

$50
$500