Scheduling the end of senior year with Ella Brooks

Many big dates are coming and going for the class of 2023 as the end of the semester approaches. There are so many important dates over the course of the seniors’ last semester that need attention.

Many scholarships opened in March and they are on the top of many students’ checklists. It is important to be mindful of the dates for these scholarships so they do not slip through the cracks. The scholarship spreadsheet and senior Canvas classroom provided by Mrs. Rossman and Mr. Blair is updated almost every day. The spreadsheet has all requirements and due dates for different scholarships and the Canvas classroom contains other important dates for seniors.

In the midst of scholarship season and college decisions, caps and gowns will be in and given to students on April 7, right before spring break. 

The senior prom will be held on Saturday, April 29 at the Atkinson Barn. Prom ticket sales will end on April 7, and voting for prom king and queen will be held outside of  Mrs. Nester’s room April 26-28, leading up to prom. 

The next big box on many students’ checklists is choosing a college and making an official decision by May 1. This is when most colleges require incoming freshmen to put down a deposit and enroll in the school so admissions can notify the waitlisted students. 

Other events coming up are different admitted students days and registration for orientations from many colleges and universities. Admitted student days are mostly campus/dorm tours and informational sessions for specific majors. Orientation for many colleges is an overnight stay in dorms and different informational sessions on campus life. 

On Friday, May 12, we will have decision day activities during our fourth period. Mr. Blair will be in charge of the different activities to help celebrate the many different decisions seniors will be making. 

The junior and senior awards assembly will be held on May 16 in the gymnasium. Seniors will be given two tickets for parents to be able to attend. Local scholarships as well as class and club awards will be announced. 

Graduation practice will be Friday the 26th, the day before graduation, at 9:00am. Both practice and graduation will be held in the Averett North Campus auditorium. Each senior will get a certain amount of tickets. The end of senior year will be bittersweet for many but exciting for most.