The Girls Behind Boygenius

May 2, 2023

BoyGenius is an all-girls supergroup consisting of Julien Baker, Phoebe Bridgers, and Lucy Dacus. The supergroup formed in 2018 after the success of all their solo singing careers. Baker, Dacus, and Bridgers all write together and are all lead vocalists in the band while also playing their guitars. Their indie and alternative rock style has formed an extremely large fan base that are now avid listeners.

Dacus and Bridgers were Baker’s opening act on her solo tour. They met when Baker told both of them that they would get along and they all decided to tour together and form a band.

Their debut studio album, the record, was released on March 31, 2023. The album is already on 22 worldwide music charts taking the number one spot on seven of them, including multiple Billboard charts. In October of 2018 they released their first self-titled EP which is just as popular. Despite only being on eight charts from 2018-2023 the EP placed the top spot of 3rd in the Billboard charts. 

Julien Baker is a 27-year-old singer-songwriter born in Germantown, Tennessee. Baker, while still being a student at Middle Tennessee State University, made two albums, including her debut album, before graduating in 2019. She released Sprained Ankle in 2015 and Turn Out the Lights in 2017. Baker released her most recent or third album in 2021 which was titled Little Oblivians.

Phoebe Bridgers is a 28-year-old singer-songwriter born in Pasadena, California. In her youth Bridgers was a part of a band called Sloppy Jane before entering her solo career. Bridgers has released two albums, the first one being Stranger in the Alps released in 2017 and Punisher in 2020. 

Lucy Dacus is a 27-year-old singer-songwriter born in Richmond, Virginia. Dacus went to study film at Virginia Commonwealth University but left to avoid debt and to pursue a career in music.Dacus received attention after the release of her debut album No Burden in 2016. After her first release she brought out two more albums, she released Historian in 2018 and Home Video in 2021.

Boygenius isn’t currently on tour but has a multitude of shows coming up alongside other popular artists. These artists include: Clairo, Dijon, Bartees Strange, Claud, Broken Social Scene, Carly Rae Jepsen, Muna, and Ethel Cain. 

American Boygenius fans can witness a live performance at upcoming music festivals like Rock en Seine and All Things Go!