Introducing Teacher of the Year; Mrs. Forney

After our THS faculty and staff members voted on “Teacher of the Year” for 2023, earlier in March, Mrs. Katherine Forney was the top vote. 

Mrs. Forney graduated from Averett University in 2011 and 2015 and began teaching in 2011. She has now been teaching for 12 years. She teaches Algebra I & II along with Algebra Functions. 

Mrs. Forney got into teaching because she really liked math and wanted to help students better understand math because it’s a struggle for a lot of people.“I chose teaching because I had good and bad teachers, and I want my students to have a positive experience while still educating them,” said Mrs. Forney.

Mrs. Forney did not necessarily expect to receive the title  of “Teacher of the Year.”“I was very surprised because I work with such excellent people,” said Mrs. Forney.

A colleague, Mrs. Heather Ringstaff, witnesses first-hand the impact that Mrs. Forney has on her students. ” “I think Mrs. Forney deserves Teacher of the Year because she truly cares about each and every one of her students. She is always attending to their needs, not only in the classroom but she gets to know them outside of the classroom. I think students feel comfortable coming to her to talk about anything.”

“She’s very passionate about math and getting students to understand difficult concepts. She really breaks things down and is very organized with how she delivers her instructions. She has a way of reaching the kid even who has struggled a whole lot before, with being able to help them reach their full potential.” said Mrs. Ringstaff.  

Freshman Aveyonnia Dalton, a student of Mrs. Forney, shares her opinion on why she thinks Mrs. Forney earned “Teacher of the Year.” “Mrs. Forney has earned this title because she has a way of connecting with us students. She is always willing to help and listen with any situation no matter what. Even when we are struggling with a concept, she is still going to go over it until we get it,” said Dalton. 

“I do feel like I deserve it because I work very hard for my students and myself,” said Mrs. Forney.

Outside of the classroom, Mrs. Forney is largely occupied by her two young children, Trenton age six and Madeline age two, tutoring, and other after school activities.

A typical week for Mrs. Forney includes tutoring 2-3 days a week. On these days, she has to find people to get Trenton off the bus and stay with him until she gets home. 

On days she doesn’t tutor, she quickly rushes home to get Trenton off the bus and pick Madeline up from daycare. 

“It’s so hard because people think our schedules are the same, but [Trenton] gets off the bus before I get off work,” said Mrs. Forney.

After they get home most days, they have to turn right around and take either Madeline to dance or Trenton to Cub Scouts. Other days they have swim lessons, church, birthday parties, or play dates. 

You can often find Mrs. Forney sitting in the stands at THS events. “I also try my best to support my students with sports as best I can,” said Mrs. Forney

Once home she cooks dinner, helps her children with their homework, and gets everyone ready for bed. 

“I used to put everything into teaching and now my kids have to come first,” said Mrs. Forney.

Mrs. Forney is a prime example to show how challenging it is to maintain work, two little children, plus extra outside activities all while maintaining high standards in her classroom.