Student-Athletes balance two sports

May 3, 2023

Many athletes are exceptionally engaged in the sports world, especially the athletes that do more than just one sport. There are some students who even play two sports in the same season. 

Athletes aren’t just athletes either, they are student-athletes and some even work along with school and sports. 

Makira Thomas, a student-athlete who does both track and soccer, and also works part time, shares her experience with doing two sports. “Mentally and emotionally it’s hard doing two sports at the same time because I have a goal set for each sport, and it’s harder to reach them both when I’m focused on them at the same time,” said Thomas. 

Thomas started doing the two sports at the same time around this same time last year. On days she has both track and soccer practice it isn’t complicated because track ends before soccer begins. When Thomas has a soccer game and track practice, she goes to track prepared for soccer then leaves as needed. 

Evan Morton is another student athlete doing two sports at the same time. He does track and travel basketball while still managing to go to school every day. Morton started doing track and travel basketball at this time last year. “For me, the hardest part is the practices. After track I want to go home and sleep, and I can’t because I have basketball practice,” said Morton.

He manages the stress of both sports by listening to music, mostly Youngboy. “Music helps me relax when it starts to get hectic,” said Morton. 

Another two-sport-same-season athlete is Avalyn Emerson. Emerson does track and soccer along with dance 4-5 nights a week. She started doing both of the sports together beginning this year in March. Emerson manages them both by choosing soccer on days she has both a meet and a game because soccer is her first sport. “The hardest part for me is having the practice at the same time of day and having to split my time,” said Emerson.

For Emerson it isn’t stressful doing two sports at once because her dad is the track coach so when needed she can practice outside of regular practice. “It’s not too hard because I enjoy them both. Both soccer and track help me work all of my muscles differently and build them. I like the people in both sports, so that helps it be less stressful and more fun,” said Emerson.

Lathan Witcher is one of our varsity basketball players who also does travel basketball along with track. Witcher started doing both sports at the same time this past year during his sophomore year. 

For Witcher, it isn’t too difficult doing two sports at the same time during the week due to track ending before basketball practice begins and the track meets are during the week and the basketball tournaments are on the weekends. 

Witcher describes why it is mentally challenging with him doing two sports at the same time. “It’s mentally challenging for me because it’s more stressful to be successful in both sports,” said Witcher. 

Athletes are more than just kids who do sports. These kids are students who are also trying to also focus on their academics and mental health while still focusing on their sports.

“If you are thinking about doing two sports within the same season, have a good support system, focus and work hard, but more importantly, have fun,” said Morton.