Trojan Messenger

Trojan Messenger

Trojan Messenger

THS revives Creative Writing

Creative writing has returned to Tunstall High School as a class for the first time in 2 years! Creative writing gives students the opportunity to express themselves and their emotions through writing things like poems and short stories.  The class is offered to grades 10th through 12th, so there is a mixture of students in the class. Creative writing teacher Mrs. McGuire loves to see the different ages interact with each other. 

The class right now is focusing on writing and analyzing poetry but they are moving into short stories next week. As of right now, poems are turned in daily but the finalized poems are turned in and graded at the end of each week. 

McGuire has only been teaching for three years, this only being her second year teaching at THS. McGuire decided to teach the class because when she was in high school she always enjoyed writing creatively instead of essay style writing. She thought teaching it would give students the chance to write something with a little more personality. “I wanted to give a chance for other kids to have the opportunity to write something other than essays,” McGuire said.

Most of the students in the class signed up to take it because they enjoy writing and wanted a place to express their thoughts and emotions. “I signed up for the class for it to be an outlet to express my feelings creatively,” sophomore Colum Rose said. Students appreciate the calm and welcoming atmosphere the class has. “This class is the most relaxing part of my day,” senior Emily Davis said. 

Hopefully creative writing will be offered again in the future in order to continue to give THS students the opportunity to express who they are through writing. McGuire would definitely love to teach her favorite class of the day again.

View Comments (1)
$50
$500

Your donation will support the student journalists of Tunstall High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.