Trojan Messenger

Trojan Messenger

Trojan Messenger

The first Friday night lights of the season

Kicking off the football season, the first game of the school year took place at THS. The Trojans faced the Dan River Wildcats on our home turf last Friday. The Trojans put up a fight, but the Wildcats ultimately took home the win 47-7. 

In the first quarter senior Malik Barbour scored a touchdown, which was followed by a field goal from senior Trenton Coleman. We put up great defense in the first quarter and did not allow the Wildcats to score. The new Trojan coach, Kirkland Brown, was eager to watch his players show off their hard work. “Coach Brown is a very supportive coach, [and] he’s helped everyone so much,” junior Kaden Brower said. The players were pumped to have scored and were ready to carry that energy through the rest of the game. 

Tunstall tried their hardest to keep up the great defense, but the Wildcats did come back and scored throughout the rest of the game. While the Trojans were bummed they did not take this win home, they were stoked to be able to play again. 

Game day does not start at kick-off, it starts Friday morning. Every player and cheerleader is ecstatic for the game. “I’m ready to play again, and I have a good feeling about this season,” senior Bricen Pool says. Pool has been playing football for nine years. He is determined to steal a couple wins for his senior season. 

All the cheerleaders are ready to bring the spirit for the game and perform all the cheers and dances they have been practicing all summer. “Cheering on Friday nights is so fun, and I love watching the people in the stands cheer for us and our team,” junior Karina Britten-Vaden exclaims. 

Everyone grows impatient throughout the day, and can’t wait for kick-off. As the day comes to an end players and cheerleaders hurry to the locker rooms to get ready for the first game of the season. Students and parents pack the stands decked out in gear for the theme of the game. In their Hawaiian themed outfits, they were ready to cheer on the Trojans. No matter if Tunstall is winning or losing the crowd will always support them no matter what. 

“Work hard and understand that you have to stay strong and play four quarters, be great,” Coleman said. With support from their coaches and teammates, the Trojans will keep trying their hardest.

The football team has a great future ahead of them this season with Coach Brown. “With the new head coach there will be lots of positive energy brought to the team, and it will be a growing year where all the kids are developing and bonding. [This] will result in wins with a solid team and building awesome players,” Brown proudly says.

Come and support our varsity team next Friday! The game will be held at Chatham High School.