Trojan Messenger

Trojan Messenger

Trojan Messenger

Trojans face Cavaliers in home territory

Starting off the JV football season, the Trojans competed against the Chatham Cavaliers. This game took place Thursday night on Tunstall’s field and was the first home game for the JV team. The final score of the game was 12-14 and, unfortunately, they were not able to bring home the win. 

The loss for the Trojans did not affect the fans and players because they were still cheering for the Trojans and were hyped up to be there regardless of the scores.

Before the game starts, the team always says a prayer over their players and their team. Then they get ready to rush through the banner and channel into their game-day mode. The first quarter had everyone in good spirits because the players were quick on their feet and defensively playing their way down to the field.

Throughout the second quarter fans were very engaged and observant in seeing how much of an improvement the JV team has made. With all the new coaches this year, there are new and creative plays coming to the minds of the young athletes. One player you can always count on soaking in the coaches ideas and then following through with them is sophomore Ethan Morton.

Morton is a football player for the Trojans JV football team, and he takes part in two important positions. Morton plays wide receiver and defensive back. Morton has been playing football for five years and has always enjoyed being a football player of his favorite sport because he stays motivated by knowing his chance to win. Morton has high expectations for this year’s season and will be a big contributor to the team by being a natural leader to push his teammates to do their best and work together as a team. Morton is a very dedicated player with a mindset that will keep him scoring in hopes to bring home some wins. Morton states his personal determination for this 2023 season is a 10 out of 10. His jersey may have the number six in bold print, but he always tries to ensure the team is number one.

At halftime the Tunstall JV cheerleaders show off all their hard work they have been putting into this season and spirit their way out onto the middle of the field centered with the 50 yard line, performing their chants and cheers to help keep the fans hyped and the players encouraged.

During the third quarter new players were getting pulled into the game and getting the rundown on the coaches new layout of plays. The Trojans rapidly got ecstatic when the team started making a comeback into the game when freshman Deayre Hairston made a touchdown for our team!

Deayre Hairston has many flexible roles in playing football. Hairston is a fullback, halfback, and jack lineman. Hairston’s position consists of many tackle plays and strong defense. He loves playing football because it’s a way for him to improve his strength and a good source to relieve stress. His number is 23, he chose it because his favorite NBA player, Michael Jordan, is also 23. This is Hairston’s second year playing football and as a freshman player for JV, he is quickly beginning to make a recognizable name for himself as a Trojan athlete. “Always stay positive, confident, and work hard for your wins,” Hairston said. These are the words he says to his teammates to keep their spirits up and attitudes high during game-play. Hairston is a very strong-driven player, and when it comes to football there is nothing that can hold him back from his determination of doing his best and proving his desire to succeed.

To conclude the game, the Trojans were trying their best to achieve their goal of winning the game. The JV team had all their fans behind them cheering them on and their varsity family backing them up with words of encouragement on the side lines.

The JV team has a huge improvement this year and are definitely in favor of holding some wins for this year’s 2023 football season. Make sure to check out the team next Thursday on September 7th.