Trojan Messenger

Trojan Messenger

Trojan Messenger

Getting back to the studio

Ryne Gammon
Several sophomores from Tunstall pose on the first day back at the Meredith Gravely School of Dance.

It is about time for all the dancers to get back to class! There are many students who are very excited to go back to the studio. The Meredith Gravely School of Dance is now back in session, as of September 5th. They are many girls who have been waiting eagerly to get back in their hip-hop, contemporary, tap, ballet, pointe, skills, and jazz classes.

Many of these dancers have a special connection with dance here at THS. Dance can be an outlet for many, and it allows girls to let out their emotions and make meaningful connections among their dance family. Dance is a lot of hard work and time, but it is worth it for the freedom you get from dancing.

Junior Brooklyn Philpott is one of the dancers that is ready to kick off the new season. Philpott is a member of the Meredith Gravely competition team. “Contemporary is my favorite style of dance because it lets you explore the movement of your body more than other styles and release stress,” Philpott said. Many girls are waiting for this season because dancing is a way to help them let go of all the struggles that come with being a teenager. 

Senior Emilie Merricks is very excited to start her final year at the Meredith Gravely School of Dance. “Dance is a lot of work, but I love it because it has been such a big part of my life for a long time…it’s going to be hard to give up,” Merricks said. It is extremely hard to let go of dance due to the “family feel” you get from the teachers and girls. Because of the strong bond at the studio, many of the alumni come back and visit the younger students. Emilie is planning on coming back to the studio to visit once she graduates. 

Sophomore Lydia Davis has been dancing for twelve years and has a very strong connection with dance. “I dance because of the feeling it gives me while performing,” Davis said. She feels confident on stage and cannot wait to begin the new season. Even though Davis is not a part of the company team, she still loves coming to practice and values her connections at the studio. “[The younger dancers] should not take anything for granted and stick with dance for as long as they can,” Davis said. 

There is a wonderful staff at the Meredith Gravely School of Dance. Teacher Ann Moore is one of them. Mrs. Moore is the studio owner, and she is very proud to call the Meredith Gravely School of Dance her home. “The happiness I find in dance is hard to describe in words, it has to be felt,” said Moore. Dance has been a huge part of her life for over fifty years, and she is very excited to continue her legacy this year. “It is a joy to watch my students improve throughout the year and their love of dance grows every year!” She cannot wait to begin this dance year and to be dancing with her students again. 

The recital for the Meredith Gravely School of Dance is in May. There are many anxious dancers at Tunstall that are ready to begin learning their dances. They hope that their peers at THS will come to watch their long awaited performance!