Trojan Messenger

Trojan Messenger

Trojan Messenger

Winning with DECA

On November 9, 2023, Tunstall DECA attended District Competition, which was held at Dan River Church in Danville, VA. District Competition is when DECA members  complete a case study that will be provided the day of the competition. 

Before competing in districts, students must complete an exam in their chosen category. There are many different categories. A few of these categories are Restaurant and Food Service Management, Human Resource Management, Principles of Marketing, Apparel and Accessories Marketing Series, and Retail Merchandising. 

THS had 16 students competing in District Competition and out of the 16 competing 11 students either placed first, second, or third. Senior Mia Davis, senior Abby Lent, sophomore Kelsie Scott, senior Skyler Simms, and freshman Luke Snow all placed first in their category. “I was very surprised to find out I had won first at districts. This was my first year competing, and I was not expecting to win at all. I could not be more excited to compete at States,” said Scott. All students that placed first will have an automatic spot at states in their category.

Sophomore Trey Duncan, junio Hunter Mills, and sophomore Sophia Scearce placed second in their category. “I was surprised to find out that I won second place in my category, which was Principles of Finance. I am so grateful for Ms. Goard and Mrs. Gunter for helping me along the way,” said Scearce. This means if a first place winner does not want to compete in states or in the same category this will offer a second place winner in that specific category to move up and compete in states. Third place winners were senior Mary Gammon, sophomore Natalie Garrett, and freshman Zion Murphy. “I was very surprised to get third place in my category,” Garrett said.

DECA will head to States Competition at Virginia Beach in March 2024. We can’t wait to see what States holds for DECA.