Trojan Messenger

Trojan Messenger

Trojan Messenger

Free Birds: Taking turkey off the menu

Since Thanksgiving has passed, it’s time to talk about one of the films that made my childhood. Jimmy Hayward’s animated film Free Birds takes viewers on a whimsical trip through time while fusing humor and adventure in a story that focuses on two main turkey characters, Reggie and Jake. The 2013 film explores friendship, bravery, and the value of challenging traditions while providing a fresh take on Thanksgiving.

The plot kicks off when Reggie (voiced by Owen Wilson), a smart and eccentric turkey, finds himself spared from the Thanksgiving dinner table due to his odd behavior. His life takes an unexpected turn when he is recruited by Jake (voiced by Woody Harrelson), a daring turkey with dreams of changing the course of history. Together, they embark on a time-traveling adventure to the first Thanksgiving in an effort to save all turkeys from becoming the main course.

One of the movie’s strengths lies in its clever humor that caters to both children and adults. The witty banter between Reggie and Jake keeps the audience engaged, and the film’s humorous take on historical events adds a layer of cleverness that goes beyond typical animated comedies. Viewers will find themselves laughing at the clever one-liners and cultural references scattered throughout the film.

Free Birds also introduces a refreshing theme of questioning traditions. As Reggie and Jake challenge the norm of turkeys being a Thanksgiving staple, the film subtly encourages viewers to think outside the box and question established practices. 

The animation in Free Birds is also quite vibrant and visually appealing. The characters are well-designed, and the time-travel sequences showcase the creative powers of the animators. The contrast of the modern world with the historical setting of the first Thanksgiving adds an extra layer of visual interest to the film.

While Free Birds is an entertaining animated adventure, it also carries a heartfelt message about friendship and loyalty. Reggie and Jake’s unlikely camaraderie serves as a reminder that differences can be strengths when working together toward a common goal. The film manages to balance its comedic elements with moments of genuine emotion, making it a well-rounded experience for audiences of all ages.