Trojan Messenger

Trojan Messenger

Trojan Messenger

The passing of a former First Lady

The Washington Post

Former First Lady Rosalynn Carter, wife of former president Jimmy Carter, died on Nov. 19, 2023. Carter was 96 years old when she passed away peacefully at her home. She was born on Aug. 18, 1927, in Plains, Georgia. The couple was married for 77 years, making them the longest married couple in presidential history.

As for being the First Lady, she also helped focus national attention on the performing arts. Carter also focused on programs to help with mental health, the community, and the elderly. From 1977 to 1978 she served as an Honorary Chairperson of the President’s Commission on Mental Health. After her time in the White House, Carter wrote an autobiography, First Lady From Plains, which was published in 1984. 

In 1982, Rosalynn and Jimmy Carter founded The Carter Center, which is a nonprofit institution. She was a founding member of the Carter Center Board of Trustees. Also, she created and chaired the Carter Center’s Mental Health Task Force, which was a program to help promote a positive change in mental health. 

In May 2023, Carter’s family began to open up about how she had been diagnosed with dementia. She still continued to live at home with former president Carter. She leaves behind her beloved husband, four children, and many grandchildren. Although she has passed, her legacy will live on through the changes and impacts she made throughout her life.