Sherlock learns from teaching

Sherlock learns from teaching

Edward Sherlock is not only a teacher, but a former Navy member, world traveler, husband, and father. His unique background and passion for science is evident in his classroom. This is his first year at Tunstall High School, but he has been teaching in Pittsylvania County Schools for three years.

Mr. Sherlock was a Nuclear Operator and attended many colleges throughout his time in the Navy. He received his Bachelor of Science in Applied Nuclear Technology at Excelsior College in New York.

Teaching appealed to him when looking for something different after retiring from the Navy. He had always been amused by science, and thought it would be enjoyable to teach.

“I love being involved in science, and I am still learning more about the world as I go. The summers aren’t bad either,” said Sherlock.

His first two years were spent at Tunstall Middle School teaching life science, but now he teaches biology.

“High school is mostly like I had expected. The block schedule took a little while to get used to. It seems like we never have enough time.”

Challenging the students more is one of his favorite things about being at the high school. This school year has also taught Sherlock to be more flexible in the way he teaches since every class is different.

Outside of school, he enjoys camping, hiking, and other outdoor activities. He noted that when the weather is nice, he’s rarely in the house. His two sons, Jarrett and Justin, and his wife have influenced his vocation as much as his passion for science.

“I love to use them to bounce ideas off of,” said Sherlock.

Looking ahead he said, “I would eventually like to add an endorsement to teach physics because that would be a fun class to teach. Other than that, I would like to take a few trips to Europe with my wife. I have been all over, but I was never able to take my family with me.”