Mrs. Goard shows off her marketing skills at Tunstall

Mrs. Goard instructs Jeremy Wyatt and Matthew Compton during a marketing class.

Brenda Arellano

To many Elizabeth Goard is a new face in the halls of Tunstall High. Mrs. Goard is beginning her first year of teaching at Tunstall, however this is her seventeenth year of teaching. Goard teaches Principle of Business and Marketing courses. She elaborates on the basic and more complex principles on how marketing and economics work and interact.

Although only being apart of the Tunstall family for a little over a semester she has already made impressions on several students. Sophomore Andrew Snead stated that “She is a woman whose word is her bond, and she’ll do whatever she can to help you”.

Mrs Goard looks forward to teaching a variety of grade levels from ninth to twelfth graders. She believes that PBM classes and Introduction to Marketing are both great classes for underclassmen, and Marketing is better suited for upperclassmen. Andrew Snead observed that in her class the students learn about Economics and the marketing system in the U.S. through movies, worksheets, and group discussions.

Goard said her reason for teaching Marketing classes was, “ It was my major and I have always loved Marketing and the psychology involved with it.”

Goard is having a change of scenery coming to Tunstall from George Washington High School. Going from the urban surrounding to a rural setting would be a dramatic change for anyone but for Goard it’s one for the better. Goard said “ I loved teaching at G.W., but I enjoy being at THS with my daughter.”

Along with her daughter students appreciate having Goard in the Tunstall halls. Sophomore Eddie Booth said, “ It’s great to have mother figures like Mrs. Goard at Tunstall, she’s a caring and understanding teacher, who always talks in a southern voice like my mom. It’s teachers like Mrs. Goard, Ms. Shelton, and Mr. Thaxton that make Tunstall High feel like a second home.”

Many students have already taken a strong liking to Mrs. Goard, but some have questions on what college their new teacher attended. Students have had varying opinions on Mrs. Goards’ college background. Graduating with a major in Marketing from Virginia Tech in 1990 Goard is a proud Hokie and while many students have their fan based rivalries but most of the students that have Goard take a keen liking to her.

Mrs. Goard also looks forward to supporting an extracurricular club coming from G.W. There she sponsored the FBLA, The Future Business Leaders Association. She is happy to make the change help sponsor the DECA club. Goard stated, “ I’m just learning about DECA, but I’m loving it.”