Flashing back for fashion

Flashing back for fashion

“What was I thinking?” said freshman Taylor Astin.

Trends come and (thankfully) trends go. Over the past years, students have been spotted wearing animal shaped bracelets, Duck Tape items, and even feather extensions.

During 2010-2012, Silly bandz and Silly rings were popular throughout many schools. They were rubber bracelets and rings that formed shapes such as animals, instruments, and even food. Students used to compete to see who could collect the most and then displayed them on a necklace.

“You were only cool if you had over 100,” said freshman Ava Wood.

However, the trend ended when they were banned from schools because they were distracting and became dangerous due to students shooting them at each other.

Next, Duck Tape became well-known. With this popular tape, students could create bows, purses, and even prom dresses! Students learned how to do this by watching YouTube videos that focused on a certain item. Patterns ranged from flowers to polka dots and even animal print.

“I used to duck tape my planner a different pattern every week,” said Astin.

Lastly, feather extensions were seen in many girls’ hair. They were sold at different stores and were especially popular during the summer at the beach. There were a wide range of bright colors to switch it up everyday.

Overall, these once popular trends are now something many students can look back and laugh at. Students can look forward to more crazy trends in the future.