Hunter Liles receives Pamplin Leadership Scholarship

Hunter Liles recently received the exciting news that she has been awarded the prestigious Pamplin Leadership Award to Virginia Tech.  This scholarship carries a $5000.oo award for her freshman year and allows her to apply for the Pamplin Scholars Award after the completion of her freshman year and this would provide full Virginia Tech tuition and fees until graduation as long as she maintains good academic standing. The Pamplin Leadership Scholarship is only awarded to 40 students from Virginia each year.  Students must demonstrate superior academic performance, dedication to their community, and have an interest in physical fitness and health.

Hunter said, “Tunstall High School has provided a supportive environment for me to gain an exceptional education and be prepared for higher education at Virginia Tech.” Also, she stated that Mrs. Rigney and Mr. Touart have been the two teachers that influenced her the most while at Tunstall High School.

In addition to academic excellence, Hunter has had a passion for horse back riding since age 4, when her dad signed her up for her first horse back riding lesson.  She started competing in horseback riding competitions at age 6 and plans to continue riding and showing horses as a hobby for years in the future. Horseback riding has influenced her career choice as a veterinarian, so horses will play a large part in her future career.

Liles competes in the Hunter-Jumper and Western  categories at horseback competitions.  She rides all types of horse and owns a thoroughbred and a pony of the Americans. She keeps her horses at her house, but rides and trains with the Averett Equestrian Center.

Hunter says,” My biggest fan is my dad, and he even drove me to a show 18 hours away and has always supported me in all my endeavors.” Hunter looks forward to attending Virginia Tech next year, but will miss her family and friends in Danville and Tunstall High School!