Edwards paints her way to first place

Senior Kelsey Edwards shows off one of her many pieces of work.

Allison Crank

Most people during their high school career are still exploring their interests and distinguishing who they are as individuals, but this is not senior Kelsey Edwards. She has known her passions since early middle school, where she began painting, and her creativity and love for art has brought her to be the winning contestant to have her painting to be placed in Richmond for a full year at the Virginia State Board Association Office.

“I’m extremely excited. It’s pretty rad to think that an extension of me is hanging in the public eye in Richmond. I’m truly elated, but pleasantly surprised,” she said.

However, the painting coming out victorious in the contest was not the only achievement. Bringing to light some deep emotions was one of her true goals that really motivated her. It featured an African boy sitting on a bench with a bloated stomach due to famine in only black, brown, and white.

“I tried my best to portray the uglier scenes of the world that everyone pushes out of their minds. Starving, bloated, hopeless children are not the subject matter of many artistic creations, but I believe they are a subject of substances. I am all about art for awareness, and awareness is not always pleasant to look at,” Edwards said.

After this accomplishment, she has been motivated to learn as much as possible in the field of art. She will attend Averett to pursue a Fine Art degree. She hopes to obtain a teaching license, so she can become an art teacher for high school students.

“She has talent that people obviously appreciate. She strives to try different things, and the painting entered was evident of that. Kelsey has inspired me, and I will hate to see her go,” art teacher, Ms. Wanda Evans said.

Being recognized by the artistic community is not an ordinary attainment by high school students. Having an aptitude to learn and love comes naturally to Edwards, which contributed to her recent win and grow with her talents.

“Art has really given me more of an abstract thinking process than a non-creative person, and it has made me think about daily life a little differently. That is something I want everyone to have,” she stated.

What began as a childhood love for coloring books led her to painting for people to concentrate on a fulfilling life and being informed about ignored topics of unpleasant tragedies.