Questions arise concerning upcoming retiring faculty

We all get an uneasy feeling about unknown situations. Many parents and students have rising questions as some of Tunstall’s long standing faculty choose to retire after this school year.

Mrs. Barbra Brown, principal, was the first to announced her retirement after being an educator for the past 35 years. Mr. Brian S. Boles, presently holds the position as the assistant principal at Dan River for the past six years, has been named as the new principal for Tunstall next year. Students and parents wonder what type of changes will be made by the newly appointed Boles. Students are concerned about discipline, dress codes, and enforcement of existing rules.

Coach Buddy Brown, followed by announcing to the football team that he would be stepping down from the head coach position after being in Dry Fork for 30-plus years. His job was filled by Mr.David Potts, science teacher at the high school, and has been one of the assistant coaches for many years. Potts says, “I plan to run a clean and successful program” and feels like he has had a wonderful mentor by working under coach Brown for a number of years as the football defensive coordinator. Students and parents are familiar with Potts and look forward to this being a smooth transition.

Finally, Pittsylvania County School Superintendent, Mr. James McDaniel, is also retiring at the end of this year.  McDaniel has held this position since 2003 and has a total of 41 years working in Pittsylvania County and Danville City Schools. McDaniel was offered a three year extension to his current contract, but McDaniel said, “While I have enjoyed my time in Pittsylvania County, I hear more and more clearly each day the calling of my faith, my family and my friends. Also, there are new journeys ahead with endless possibilities worth exploring.” McDaniel leadership will be greatly missed, but we all wonder how many snow days the new superintendent will give us next year?

Every year students question if there could be a mandatory dress code enforced throughout the school, for students and faculty. Everyone also wonders if the new superintendent will choose to leave the extended school day the same to compensate for missed snow days.

Athletes also wait anxiously to see how vigorous the practices will become in preparation for game day, with Coach Potts in charge.

Many students say that its just going to be different, when returning to school after summer break and being unaware of what is expected out of them. Students wait to see if some rules will go on the way side while other rules are upheld with more severe punishment. Next year will be a new beginning with much anticipation.