Students help feed the hungry

According to recent statistics, 1 out of 5 children do not know where their next meal will be coming from and 16 million do not have access to healthy foods.

Seven students in particular hope to lower this number one step at a time. Freshmen Dylan Gentry, Seth Stowe, Zoey White, juniors Trey Dallas, Becka Scarce, Jarret Stowe and senior Edward Wimmer worked with the Feed the Hungry project on April 27 to help children like the ones mentioned above.

The Feed the Hungry project is “dedicated to feeding the poor and hungry around the world, empowering the church worldwide, and sharing the hope that comes through Jesus Christ.” It is based in Indiana and was created in 1987 by Dr. Lester Sumrall. In the past 28 years, it has given over $200 million worth in food to 92 different countries.

The student volunteers helped pack meal bags at Whitmell United Methodist Church along with 50 other church members. Each person had a different task such as filling, measuring, or boxing the bags as they moved down the assembly line. The bags were made up of different foods that could provide six servings to a family in need.

“It feels good to be able to help so many hungry people,” said freshman Zoey White.

By the end of the afternoon, they had packed an impressive total of 11,160 meals which is nearly 67, 000 servings.

“It was definitely a team effort and everyone worked hard and fast,” said White.

To learn more, get involved, or donate to this volunteer project, visit feedthehungry.org.