Students get inducted into Beta

Freshmen+Hannah+Hale%2C+Alexis+Tofus%2C+Blake+Mitchell%2C+Kelsie+Smith%2C+and+Makayla+Crumpton+were+just+a+few+of+the+ones+who+stuck+around+afterwards+to+take+pictures+of+their+achievement.+

Freshmen Hannah Hale, Alexis Tofus, Blake Mitchell, Kelsie Smith, and Makayla Crumpton were just a few of the ones who stuck around afterwards to take pictures of their achievement.

On Thursday, May 7,  students were inducted into the National Senior Beta club. The event took place in the auditorium. It was lead by Tunstall’s Beta sponsor, Ms. Melissa Aherron and senior Hannah Shambley, who is the 2014-2015 Beta president for this school’s chapter. Freshmen, sophomores, juniors, and seniors attended with a total of 43 students.

Beta club is an academic organization that gets students involved in the community by completing service projects. Members must have a 3.5 or higher grade point average and volunteer during the school year.

Beta was started in 1934, which means this is their 80th anniversary. It was founded by Dr. John W. Harris with a vision to “lead by serving others.” Currently, there are over 450,000 members through out the high schools in 37 states. Since 1991, they have awarded over $5 million in scholarships, as well.

At the ceremony, the inductees walked across the stage to accept their certificate and pin, then said the official pledge as a group. After the new members were inducted the installation of the new officers was held. The officers for the next school year are President Jarret Stowe, Vice-President Jacob Johnson, Secretary Rebecca Jones, Treasurer Taylor McGregor, and reporter Cassey Wade.

Freshman Hallie Klauss said, “It’s a proud accomplishment I’ve been working to since middle school. Beta has taught me how to be a better person and show responsibility and character in our community. I’ve learned that without character, a person is just a body of mass. You need to have a strong character and also be unique. Everyone else is already taken so why be like them? This club has given me the power to stand up for what I believe in.”

The school will continue to strive for academic success through clubs such as this. As for Klauss and the others, they are looking forward to another year helping others and the community through Beta.