Students look forward to summer vacation

Summer break is quickly approaching and students are making plans for their break.  Many students have their vacation planned and some trips will  be associated with jobs and various competitions. Next Friday, after the last exam is complete, it will be a time of celebration for all. For the next eleven weeks students will be on their own schedule and not thinking about school, except maybe doing a bit of summer reading for English class.

Sophomore Carleigh Coleman will be heading to Orlando, Florida over summer break for a dance competition and staying across the street from Sea World.  Two days will be filled with shopping and hanging out at the pool and six days will be dancing from 8 to 3 every day.  The week will end with a gala that invilves meeting 3 or 4 famous choreographers.  “I am excited about the trip and wondering who the choreographers will be, they keep this a secret until the event”, says Carleigh.

Senior Patrick Jones plans to be in California for 2 to 3 weeks vacationing and attending a racing competition. “I’ll be working with my uncle for the Flying Lizard Motor Sport Company to ensure everything technical will be working on the cars for the upcoming American Le Mans Series.”  Patrick will be working on Porsches, McLarens and Audis at the track located in Sonoma, California. His family will be going on the trip as well.

Junior Nick Carter is looking forward to spending time at Myrtle Beach this summer. “Being at the beach and feeling the breeze is just the greatest thing”, says Nick. He plans on hanging out at the beach, enjoying some good seafood and eating a lot of ice cream. Nick plans to stay 3-7 days and is hoping for good weather.

Sophomore Cullen Dougherty will be spending the summer in Idaho working at a hunting retreat.  Cullen previously went hunting at this camp for bear and wolves and the owner offered him a job for the summer.  “Mostly elderly rich guys will be there, but some are bringing their grandchildren for the thrill of seeing them take their first large game”, says Cullen.  People come to the camp for a week and most have the opportunity to shoot a black bear, which is really exciting.

Senior Nick Standen plans to take several camping trips this summer in Virginia and North Carolina.  He will be fishing, canoeing, kayaking, swimming, as well as renting a boat and going tubing.  “We start a bonfire and enjoy making a big stew for the entire family”, says Nick. While some family members sleep in a RV, Nick enjoys camping in a basic tent.

Summer vacation for students from THS will be a busy time.  Students will make memories and return to school with adventures to talk about with their friends.