Mrs. Brown’s final assembly

Mrs. Browns final assembly

Students assembled on Friday morning to receive awards and the air was filled with anticipation as Mrs. Brown conducted her last student assembly. Students waited to see if they received the highest average award in one of their classes or if they were to receive one of the other various awards given out.

At the beginning of the assembly, Mrs. Brown was awarded a flag from the JROTC that was flown over the Capitol building in Washington, D.C. and Tunstall High School.  Colonel King spoke about Mrs. Brown’s dedication to education.

“I believe that education is the first line of defense to protect our freedoms and our liberty. Every day our teachers and administrators engage in the battle against ignorance in an effort to educate our students.  Mrs. Brown has been engaged in that battle for the past four decades.  She has fought the good fight and never gave up.”

A yearbook signed by the faculty was also presented for her service as principal and for her time as a Trojan.

Many students were given certificates and plaques during the presentation of awards.

Agriculture teacher, Mr. Gregory described his student, senior, Edward Wimmer, Jr. as a complete joy to have in the classroom and to teach.

Many awards were given out in Fine Arts with students awarded either most improved artist, most innovative artist or best artist in each level of Art. Senior Kelsey Edwards was awarded best artist of the year.

Sophomore Tyler Goad was awarded the most innovative art award for Art II. “I was very excited to receive the award, along with being surprised. I have put in a lot of hard work.”

Achievements in Business, Career & Technical, Chorus, as well as Drama were awarded to students who excelled in the these fields.

Junior, Trevor Mensavage was awarded actor of the year for his creative skill and personality on stage and in character.

Achievements in English, Young Authors, Trojan Messenger, and Yearbook were awarded as well.

“I was very surprised about my English award. I’m glad I got to be in Mrs. Nester’s class and learn from her. I’m looking forward to her class next year,” said winner of the AP English 11 award, junior Hannah Barker.

Sophomore Anna Brooks won first place in the school-wide Young Authors competition and third at the regional level.  “I am very satisfied by my placement, being that this is my first year competing in the competition.”  She adds, “I hope to participate again next year.”

Other awards were given out to students with achievements in Family & Consumer Science, Foreign Language, Marketing & Deca, Mathematics, and Physical Education.

In Science, awards were given out to a generous amount of students that excelled in different science courses. Anatomy, Earth Science, AP Biology were some of the science classes in which awards were given.

Achievements in Social Studies and Technology were also announced.

Senior Breaujah Carter was named and awarded the Virginia Military Institute Award, for her hard work and dedication; she will be attending VMI in the fall.  Colonel King presented her with a VMI belt buckle that he makes for Tunstall students entering the rat line at VMI.

Senior Samantha Shelton was awarded the Rotary Club Scholarship and received $1000 for college.

Two students, male and female were awarded for both most spirited athlete and most valuable athlete.

Breaujah Carter and Andrew Moon won most spirited athletes, and Dominique Mulero and Caleb Ashworth won Athletes of the Year.

Mr. Newnam and Mrs. Harper announced the students who had perfect attendance and honor roll, many students stood or received a plaque for their achievements.

As the assembly concluded, and Mrs. Brown closed her last school assembly, the student body, the faculty and staff all stood and applauded her for her time, effort, and her service, as principal of Tunstall High School.