All County Band composes to Gretna

On February 26, 2016, the All-County Band performed at Gretna High School. Mrs. Kellie Knapp, the band director at Tunstall Middle and High School, chose 35 students of all ages to perform with other musicians from schools within the area.

The entire band is made up of three main section: woodwinds, brass, and percussion, with Trojans filling seats within each section. Two main groups performed, the gold and silver bands. The gold band was mainly the upper level high school students, conducted by a lively Mrs. Townsend, a guest director brought in from Williamsburg, Virginia. The silver band was mostly younger students from each school, directed by Dr. Phillips from Averett University.

Students of all ages were excited about the event. “My favorite part is getting to spend more time with my fellow band members and getting to know new people,” stated freshman flautist Christina Jones.

The four high schools in Pittsylvania County participated in this event with Tunstall High School having the most students to participate. “I’m kind of nervous about the concert because I’m scared I’m going to mess up on some parts,” says freshman clarinet player Katelyn Shaffer.

Because of snow, regular chair auditions were cancelled, leaving all students to be seated alphabetically within their sections, but three Trojans made first chair. To make first chair, students had to play an etude and two major scales. Junior Brandon Warren was selected as first chair trumpet, sophomore Stephanie Mell was selected as first chair flute, and senior Tiffany Bowker as first chair clarinet.

“It felt so awesome to get first chair,” said sophomore Stephanie Mell.

Band1