Gavin Draughn

Staying between the lines

After fully completing Driver’s Ed, as a sophomore, all students must complete a behind the wheel course before they can obtain a driver’s license.

To be eligible to participate in this program, students are required to have their learner’s permit and have completed the class portion of Driver’s Education. Students must have a total of 14 hours of behind the wheel instruction, with 7 hours driving and 7 observing.

Special Education teacher Adam Louhoff and Coach Mark Austin run an after school behind the wheel course called Between The Lines Driver’s Education. Mr. Keith Richardson, a Materials and Processes teacher, also does an after school program called B+K Commonwealth Driving School, LLC.  Guidance Counselor Linda Clark-Williamson also teaches behind the wheel with her business Smart Start Driving Academy.

Louhoff and Austin have been working together for over a year now. Louhoff does behind the wheel 7 days a week plus the summer. Coach Austin works 2 to 3 days during the week, but during baseball season he is only available on weekends. “I do enjoy it”, stated Austin, “Most of the students I already know from school, so helping them is enjoyable.”

Richardson has been running his business since 2000, and does it 7 days a week by appointment.

As students advance from the classroom to actually driving the car, students are graded on numerous things. On a number scale of 3-1, students are critiqued on basic skills, placing and stopping vehicle in motion, starting and securing vehicle, steering, judging vehicle position, searching intending path of travel, following space and time, communication and courtesy, commentary driving, and responding to emergency situations.

From completing a behind the wheel course, students gain many things from the experience. Students learn the ability to control the vehicle, as well as, driving at night, parallel parking and entering/exiting the highway. Also, students realize the dangers of driving and learn to  be more cautious while driving. “I had just gotten my learners permit and I wasn’t that experienced, so I learned a lot from Coach Austin, including rules and driving tips, I recommend taking behind the wheel with him!” says sophomore Jordan Hawkins.

Of course, many students will be nervous and apprehensive of what is to come. No student knows exactly what to expect once they sit in the driver’s seat until they experience behind the wheel. “It was great”, stated junior Logan Patterson, “Me and my friend Travis Lewis did it together, Louhouff was really easy to talk to and ask questions”.

$50
$500