Anna Brooks

Ms. Carter believes in the motto, “Lose the drama,” in her classroom.

Carter contributes style and experience

April 22, 2016

Often times when one mopes through Tunstall’s doors at 8:00 AM, just passing the office, he or she is reminded of optimism by Ms. Michelle Carter. He or she may also be reminded that one’s eye shadow should always match one’s shirt!

However, there seems to be an abundance of unknown that lies among the student body concerning Ms. Carter.

Ms. Carter walked the walk.

Entrepreneur, Ms. Carter was six years formerly the vice president and co-owner of Captain Copy, Inc.  It was a business created to meet all printing needs. The company was located in Downtown Danville in the current Golden Leaf Bistro facility.

Ms. Carter’s role at Captain Copy included, “Everything!”  However, specifically, “I worked with the finances of the company, and closely with costumers, and both training and supervising employees.”

The company was an acquaintance of many local businesses. Captain Copy primarily printed logos onto t-shirts, and designed business cards, show programs, and tickets for events. Occasionally, the company would print wraps for cars for local businesses.  In fact, at one time, Ms. Carter’s business printed the sponsor logos onto Timothy Peters’s racing truck.

Ms. Carter left her business behind six years ago and completely redirected her life into becoming a teacher. Her sister, Mrs. Venus Hendrix, Tunstall’s ESL teacher, informed her of the open position as an Economics and Personal Financing teacher. Ms. Carter stated, ” For the first time in my life – I feel like I’m doing what God planned for me.”

Ms. Carter brought her experience of the business world with an intention to completely envelope her students in her knowledge. In hopes of being a life changer – a financial changer.

Ms. Carter completely believes that through her personal financial triumph, defeat, and wisdom, she has the advantage. She spoke up, “You can teach somebody how to raise a child, but if you’ve never raised a child, you are simply regurgitating information.”

“Experience is the best teacher – it is old, but it is true. There is no substitution for experience and the business world has helped me to put into practice what I teach,” she added.  “People respect that you have walked that walk.”

That respect she speaks of plays a huge role in the way that she allows her classroom to function. If one has ever experienced Ms. Carter as a teacher he or she knows that room B103 is a democracy in moderation. She believes that the quickest way to gain respect from students is to allow them some freedom to have a say in certain decisions. “I want you to respect me first and like me second,” she stated.

Ms. Carter, born with confidence, thinks outside of the box. She was asked to describe her sense of style in one word and she responded saying that she could not describe it in one word, but two; she described herself as a “flamingo bird.” She went further into detail, “Flamingoes are unique, they do not look like any other bird, and I think they are quite beautiful.” Ms. Carter takes much pride in her ability to stand out.

“People who criticize are jealous or controlling – and I don’t care for either, ” Ms. Carter firmly stated. She sat pensive for a moment thinking of something she could say to those who lack confidence. She broke the silence, “My all-time favorite sports figure is Calvin Ripken Jr., short stop and third baseman for the Baltimore Orioles. He played 8,243 consecutive innings and people criticized him for never sitting the bench. The thing is, the only reason those who criticized him did so was because they themselves were warming the bench.”

“One thing I will say – you can NOT worry about what other people think, period.”

Ms. Carter walks her own walk wearing Michael Kors wedges, leaving others’ opinion in the rearview of her lipstick mirror.

Trojan Messenger • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

Donate to Trojan Messenger
$50
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Comments (0)

All Trojan Messenger Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *