Sophomore, Jordan Hawkins, and Junior, Taylor Emerson, model their Shrimp and Grits tees. (Abby Scarce )
Sophomore, Jordan Hawkins, and Junior, Taylor Emerson, model their Shrimp and Grits tees.

Abby Scarce

Shrimp and Grits introduces your new favorite tee

Tunstall students model for the new clothing line

May 3, 2016

Everyone loves a comfy tee shirt, which is exactly why Jason Adams began the Shrimp and Grits tee shirt line.

“The thought is everyone has that shirt they love. The one that just makes you feel good. It comforts you,” Adams says.

Inspired by his wife’s love of comfy tee shirts, in 2014 Adams began to design a tee shirt line that was “simpler but still fun and colorful” which made its debute in October of 2015. He chose to name the brand Shrimp and Grits because of the southern cuisine’s long history in the South.

“It started out as a food for the poor and less privileged. It was consumed merely for sustainability. Over time, the dish became highly regarded as a delicacy fetching high dollar. The reinvention of the dish overtime represents the journey of our brand and  products. What started out as a generic, cheap tee shirt has now evolved into an unbelievably comfortable and well designed shirt the people don’t just need to wear but want to,” comments Adams.

While many students are seen sporting the brand through the halls of Tunstall, a couple of Tunstall students promote the brand by modeling the Shrimp and Grits designs in their free time. Sophomore, Jordan Hawkins and, junior, Taylor Emerson were both contacted by the Shrimps and Grits social media page and asked to model the brand. While they both have only attended a few photo shoots, the two girls both agree they are enjoying the experience.

“Everyone I  work with is sweet and kind, it’s been a really good experience and fun,” Emerson says.

Students are not the only supporters of the brand. Teacher, Mariah Blankenship began to take photos of the Shrimp and Grits line at the model photo shoots after her younger sister was asked to be a model for the company.

Blankenship said, “I had observed their instagram for a long time so I sent them a message telling them that I thought that I had some cool and innovative ideas that would help him advertise his shirts.”

While she has only attended one photo shoot, she looks forward to working with them again I the future.

While Shrimp and Grits has become a well known brand since their debute, Adams plans to continue expanding the company. “We want to make that shirt that you love to put on and never want to take off. We want to make that shirt that you can’t bring yourself to part with. We feel that if we do that, progress will take care of itself,” says Adams.                                                         s&g3

Shrimp and Grits merchandise can be found at:

• Lizzy Lou Boutique (Danville)
  • Cherrystone Outdoors (Chatham)
  • Live Trendy or Die (Lynchburg)
  • The Cats Meow (Reidsville)
  • The Cotton Blossom Boutique (Greensboro)

Or on their website at www.shrimpandgritsco.com

Prices range from $24 to $38.