Name that car!

September 30, 2016

Kasey+Marshall+poses+in+front+of+her+shiny+Ford+Focus.+

Rebecca Mitchell

Kasey Marshall poses in front of her shiny Ford Focus.

While the thought of naming your car might be strange, some think otherwise. Car names are a way to express originality and may be unique, adorable, or even silly.

Some students make up their own name randomly, some have a much deeper meaning based off of a memory, loved one, or a friendship.

Senior Kasey Marshall drives a 2016 Ford Fusion. “I named my car Felocity. I love the way it drives, which is very smooth, and it’s fast. I combined the word velocity with Ford to make Felocity,” said Marshall.

Senior Raigan Shackelford drives a 2000 Acura TL. “I named my car Alexa. I named it that because my friend Patrick, he moved to Ohio, named it and I love Patrick, so I kept the name,” said Shackelford.

Hollywood plays a big role in our culture, so many teenagers use the name of someone they idolize or adore, such as the bachelorette, a celebrity, or a beloved Disney movie to name their car.

Senior Cailyn Turner drives a white 2010 Nissan Altima. “I named my car Flo after the blue and white fish in Finding Nemo,” said Turner.

“I named my car Jenner. I named it after Kendall Jenner, my favorite celebrity,” said Senior Logan McCubbins, referring to her 2011 Mercedes Benz C300.

Logan McCubbins shows off her custom license plate.
Rebecca Mitchell
 McCubbins shows off her custom license plate.

Senior Rebecca Jones drives a 2016 Voltswagon Jetta Sport. “I named my car JoJo. I named it after my favorite Bachelorette star, JoJo Fletcher.”

Many teenagers connect with their intellectual side and name their car after a figure from history class, while others use literary devices from English class.

Senior Megan Soyars drives a ’98 Ford Explorer. “I named my car Henry after Henry Ford. He invented the assembly line and I thought since I drove a Ford, I would name it after a man I learned about in history,” said Soyars.

Senior Madison Howell drives  a 2013 Chevy Cruze. “I named my car Charlotte because that’s my favorite name. I also wanted it to be an alliteration, so I named it Charlotte Chevy Cruze,” said Howell.

“I named my car Bethany,” said senior Lacey Kirby, who drives a 2002 3 Series BMW. “I wanted to have alliteration as well because it sounds better, so I named it Bethany BMW,” said Kirby.

The appearance of our vehicles can be a factor in the naming process as well. The color, size, and shape of cars can be so different that an original name can be created from it.

“I named my car Big Orange,” said Senior Devin Weaver, who drives a 2009 Kia Borrego. “I named it that because my sister said it was a ‘big orange SUV’ and it gave me the idea for the name.”

Senior Garrett Van Allen drives a 2003 Ford Ranger. “I named my car Old Red. I named it that because it’s an old truck and it’s red,” said Van Allen.

“I have a gold 2004 Ford Taurus,” said Senior Candice Mitchell. “I named it Sugarlips because it looks like sugar. It’s sweet to me.”

For many teenagers their cars are like children, so naming a car gives it its own identity. Some people cherish their cars and care about the appearance, inside and out. People feel like their car represents their personality. Whether you personalize tags, get monograms and stickers, or give it a name, there are many ways to express creativity with a car.