Tunstall sends debate viral

Tweeting about the elephant (and donkey) in the room

Created by Abby Scarce

Snapchat filters allow users to make presidential hopefuls into playful puppies.

People on social media last night were aware that the first Presidential Debate was taking place. People following Tunstall students didn’t have to be watching the debate to know what was said between the two candidates.

Each student watching the debate took their voices to social media and expressed their opinions through retweeting major news companies’, candidates’, and other students’ tweets, posting memes of the debate on instagram, and/or putting snapchat filters on the candidates faces. (If there wasn’t a snapchat posted of Trump filtered as a puppy or Hilary frowning, did the debate even happen?)

News stations, such as Fox, CNN, and several others, live tweeted what the candidates said and students then retweeted their favorite quotes from the candidates; some even quoting the tweets to include their own opinions. One news company  had a sponsored poll on twitter where users could vote for who they believed would win the election which gained student attention, since it was the only form of election they could take part in.

Most of the students at Tunstall can’t vote yet, so why are we so interested in this election? Why are we expressing our voices so loudly?

The fact is, we can relate to the candidates. We’re teenagers caught up in drama, and this election is full of it. We love hearing Trump interrupt Hillary with his favorite word from last night, “Wrong!” And the many times Hilary brought up Trump’s changing opinions, like the war in Iraq, our hearts fluttered and our fingers began typing 140 characters full of our opinions.

We know that our opinions, for the most part, won’t effect the outcomes of this election; we can’t vote and no adult is going to take advice about politics from a high school student. Yet, we continue to keep up with both candidates because, just like all high school drama, we have to be informed enough to gossip about it tomorrow at the lunch table.