I side with…

Political perspective from first time voters

November 7, 2016

In Tunstall’s Advanced Placement Government class, rather than being told what policies, parties, and candidates to vote for and side with, students are encouraged to form their own opinions and beliefs concerning politics and government. Due to this, there is a broad range of diverse opinions and viewpoints in the A204 classroom. Students were asked to expressed their reasoning behind their opinions and the best responses were chosen to represent the two major candidates.

I side with Donald Trump

I side with Donald Trump

Why might I vote for such a disgusting, derogatory, vulgar man like Trump? While some may argue my vote will be cast in favor of him because of my partisanship toward the Republican Party, I care to argue further in depth. Let me put this out there: I do not endorse Trump’s wrong doings. I’m not fond of Trump’s speech, but I also want to make it known I do not care for Hillary’s actions! To think it is a possibility that she could represent America as the first female President disgusts me. With that being said, I side with most Americans in the sense that I am not one hundred percent pleased with either candidate. I’m quite disappointed that, in my first year voting in the presidential election, I’m left with these choices. Regardless, I’m still participating. My goal in this election is to look past Trump’s speech. Speech can be forgiven; actions cannot. I’m willing to look deeper into policies which I find of more value.

In AP Government, we were told to rank our political priorities and contemplate which candidate we found most appealing in dealing with our top issues. This activity was a deciding factor. If I had to vote for Donald Trump based on my number one political priority solely, I have more faith in him to choose the next Supreme Court justice. Whoever is elected has to nominate at least one, and probably two, or could potentially nominate up to five Supreme Court justices. The Supreme Court is responsible for an extremely crucial part in how laws are interperted.

I favor Trump’s choice of choosing Mike Pence as his Vice President. I see it as a smart move. My hope is that, if elected, Pence demonstrates the same wisdom in the selection of the next Supreme Court Justices. I have faith he would steer away from liberal minded nominees, and call it partisanship if you choose, but I want conservative minded individuals on the Supreme Court. It is currently tied with four conservative and four liberal appointed justices.

Secondly, I’m deeply concerned with the national debt. I have no idea how I would fix the national debt if I were president. I also have no idea how I would run million dollar companies successfully. But, Donald trump does. His career is to operate and negotiate. My hope is that he would in someway work with the budget to reduce the unnecessary spending.

Although it’s a highly debated issue, I find abortion to be an important problem in today’s America. When asked, Trump responded, “pro-life, but allow in cases of rape, incest, or danger to the mother or the child,” with which I can agree. This is not a journal entry arguing why I do not believe in abortion, but since it is a priority of mine, I state that it is a key determining factor for who I side with in this election.

At this moment, I have decided to vote for Trump. My hope is that if other individuals are so turned off by Trump, it will fail to have a trickle down effect on local elections. I favor the local conservative politician running for election, and would be very disheartened to see his chance of winning be jeopardized because of people’s dislike for Trump. In retrospect, I dislike Hilary Clinton’s policies and actions. I’m choosing to vote for Donald Trump, because I feel as if his views most align with mine.