Rebecca Mitchell

Destiny Terrell: Defying the odds with extraordinary talent

A doghouse, a speech, and a horror movie- one may be wondering how this relates to senior Destiny Terrell’s life, but without these things, it is likely Destiny would’ve not discovered how creative she is or the things that make her happy.

She may look like just another student in Mrs. Evan’s art class; however, after seeing her paintings and hearing her infectious laugh, it is obvious she is anything but ordinary.

Back in middle school, Destiny picked up a paint brush, took to a blank canvas, and created one of her first paintings of a doghouse with a Beagle inside. Fast forward to 12th grade and she is still painting. Now her work is not just admired by her parents, but people throughout the community.

Her artwork is sold at silent auctions through Out of the Darkness, an organization in Danville dedicated to suicide prevention. Destiny was requested to do a painting for them by her father’s friend, so she painted a canvas that said “you are enough” with a semicolon underneath the words.

“My favorite part about painting is that I get to be creative and think about whatever comes out of my head,” she explained.

Her mother, Mrs. Vickie Terrell, describes her daughter’s painting style like this: “Destiny sees things in pictures rather than in full motion so she paints pictures in the way she sees it.”

Not only does Destiny have the talent of originality and uniqueness, but she also can imitate other artwork. She has even recreated the iconic “Starry Night” for her mother.

“There’s nothing specific I don’t like to paint. Whatever the idea is, I will paint it,” said Destiny.

This second-year art student not only expresses herself through painting, but public speaking, as well. Destiny lives with Autism, but she does not let that stop her. Instead, as her mother put it, she uses her talent to “be a voice for the voiceless” for those who cannot talk well because of the disorder.

Destiny has spoken at her church, the Salvation Army, and even on the announcements last year during Autism Awareness month. When asked where her confidence to do this came from, she replied, “I had the courage to do this in order for people to become more aware about Autism.”

To get a better understanding of how this affects Destiny’s life, Mrs. Terrell gave the example of walking down the hallway. For most students, pushing through the crowded halls is a second nature to them. But, for Destiny, she has to “navigate” the hall to get through by looking down due to the brightness of the lights and the noise.

“One thing Destiny has always said when people say ‘what is it it like having Autism?’ is this, ‘I live with Autism.’ That has been a big thing for her. It’s not about the diagnosis, but that every day she is living with Autism and the struggles that come with it,” said Mrs. Terrell.

Still wondering how horror movies come into play in Destiny’s life?

Well, they are actually her favorite type of genre to watch.

About the thrillers she said, “I really like horror movies and stuff. I keep telling my mom she doesn’t have to go to them with me, like the new movies, but she insists.”

“They’re not even that scary,” joked Destiny with a response of “it’s just the element of surprise,” from Mrs. Terrell.

Speaking of surprises, Destiny is currently working on three special holiday-themed paintings. They will be given to the Salvation Army for their World Service organization.

When asked how Destiny would describe herself, she said, “I see myself as someone who is living with Autism, but it’s only a part of who I am. I see myself as a painter who sees the beauty in the world.”

$50
$500