Seeing Veterans’ Day through a teenager’s eyes

Between hearing about Trump and Clinton, protesting, arguing over popular vote vs. electoral vote, coverage of the meeting of Obama with the new president elect, and having a day off from school, today had little room to make its appearance.

But, this Friday should be more important (dare I say) than even Election Day. Today, the country celebrates not because it is just another holiday, but because lives deserve to be honored: veterans’ lives.

Honestly, I used to not care much about Memorial Day or Veterans’ Day. I remained silent on days like today because what could a little girl who didn’t even know the difference between a sergeant and a colonel possibly say to show her respect? When I would hear on the news how many soldiers had fallen overseas, I ignored the fact that numbers are more than numbers and they represent actual people who had actual families and were actually deeply loved. In my ignorance, I had an attitude of blind gratitude- the kind of thankfulness that enjoys the gifts but ignores what sacrifices were made to receive them.

I had that attitude until I read Tim O’Brien’s The Things They Carried. After reading about his friends dying right beside him in the Vietnam War and how he suffers still with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), my perspective changed. His haunting, heart-wrenching stories page after page resonated within me and my eyes were opened, but my heart even more so.

Cheesy, I know, but I cried the whole way through that book and now, there are even more things that make tears come to my eyes.

I cry when I watch those videos of sons running into their fathers’ arms for the first time since they left for Afghanistan. I cry when I think about young women marrying their dream men, then having to let them go for long periods of time. I cry when I think about guys not much older than me leaving their families and towns behind and stepping foot on dangerous, unfamiliar grounds. I cry when I think about the heartache parents must feel when their child never gets to come home. I cry when my Nana tells me the story of how sick she felt every day while her big brother was fighting in WWII. I found myself crying just the other night when I heard “God Bless the USA” on the radio not because I’m some emotional, dramatic person, but because I am overwhelmed with appreciation.

I am overwhelmed that soldiers think millions of Americans and I are worth fighting for. Lately, I have been wondering why I was blessed enough to be born in a country where I am given so many opportunities that I can chase after. I sit in journalism class and think about how I am allowed to write an opinion article without being attacked by the government. On Sundays, I sing in church without fear of getting in trouble for my religion. I attend school every day, yet there are girls in other countries getting shot just because they are trying to get an education. There are so many things I get to experience as an American that I take for granted.

A lot of people this week have been complaining about our country and joking that they’re moving to Canada. But, personally, I couldn’t imagine living anywhere else but the United States. I get to pursue and live the American dream every day.

So, I want to take a moment to say thank you to all the brave men and women who have served or are serving. I want to thank you for making such an awe-inspiring, selfless decision to fight for citizens. I want to also thank your parents, cousins, children, spouses, fiancees, grandparents, siblings..the list goes on and on… for being so strong and supportive.

I have always loved my freedoms, but I love them even more now that I understand what it takes to obtain them.

It has been said “no one has greater love than this, that a man would lay down his life for his friends.”

But, today, it is a privilege to be able to honor those who still have precious life in them and not only blood running through their veins, but patriotism, as well. It is nice to be able to attend parades and ceremonies and meet people in my town who have served.

As with every year that passes, I only grow fonder of this day.

It is a Happy Veterans’ Day, indeed.

$50
$500