Amanda Field

‘Let’s get down to business’ about “Mulan Jr.”

The Historic North Star Theater is once again putting on a musical that the whole family can enjoy. From November 11th to November  20th, students all around the area are performing Mulan Jr. Friday and Saturday shows will start at 7:30PM and the Sunday matinees will begin at 2:30PM. Tickets are $10 for students and children and $15 for adults. The musical is directed by Mimi Johnson Grubb.

This musical is funny, emotional, and overall entertaining. All ages will enjoy the wacky characters like Mushu the dragon or the serious characters like Shan-Yu. It starts off with a musical number performed by the five great ancestors of Mulan’s family. Following that comes the young Mulan, who is trying to find herself while fulfilling her parents’ destiny. Mulan meets many characters that symbolize the inner conflict she is facing. The story stresses that being yourself is okay and emphasizes the power of elements like love and individuality.

Some songs featured in the play include “Reflection,” where Mulan is facing her conflict of self-discovery, “Honor to Us All,” where Mulan meets the matchmaker for her destiny, and “I’ll Make a Man Out of You,” where general Shang is preparing his dysfunctional group of men for war.

Students from THS are in the performance and act in several different roles. Junior Ava Wood plays as one of the five ancestors while sophomore Mary Catherine Jones plays the part of captain Shang, general of the army Mulan snuck into. Another sophomore, Kacey Martin, was a different ancestor of Mulan. Sophomore Emily Wilkerson plays the role of the infamous Matchmaker. Freshman Amanda Talbott plays both a mother and hun.

The play itself was exceptional. The feeling of being in the story with the characters showed the skill these young performers possess. Viewers of all age will find this musical wildly amusing. I would recommend this musical to anyone who enjoys laughter, fun, and an all around good time.

.

$50
$500