Advice Column: Aaron Answers

*Kaitlyn Aaron is a student at Tunstall High School, NOT a trained professional!

What’s the best way to ask a girl to prom?

Honestly, I don’t think there is one single “best” way to ask a girl to prom—we’re all different people–full of different personalities.

The key is to understand her likes, dislikes, and personality in order to be able to figure out what she would consider the “best” way to be asked to prom. For some, an extravagant asking would fit, while some would consider a simple, but thoughtful way the perfect way.

After taking a minute to consider her personality, here’s a few ideas to think about before making your move:

Simple route:

Some prefer simplicity and thoughtfulness. Here’s some ideas if you think this approach fits her best:

1. Try writing a sweet note. (Don’t worry, you don’t have to be the modern-day Shakespeare to pull this one off…just write down something sweet–like why you’d like to take her to prom.) If you want to go the extra mile, then attach the note to her favorite flower. (If you don’t know her fave flower, then it’s time to do some digging to find out!)

2. If you have an artistic flare, grab that ol’ guitar and sing a few lines!

Extravagant route:

Maybe she isn’t the modern day Emerson and doesn’t care much for simplicity, but loves extravagance. If so, here’s some ideas:

1. Time to head to the dollar store! Load up on tea light candles. Nothing speaks romantic sweetness like candlelight. Make sure she isn’t home and line the candles to spell out “Prom?” in her driveway. Get one of her friends to text you when she’s on the way home and begin lighting the candles. She’ll pull up to a dazzling invite. (Although I’d consider getting permission from whoever she lives with for this one…catching the house on fire probably won’t earn you any brownie points.)

2. Go buy a bouquet of her favorite flowers. Attach a clue to each flower, and plan to leave one at her desk in all her classes. The first flower would be left on her first period desk with a catchy clue attached on where to find the next one during class change.  Repeat this process until the end of the day arrives, and meet her at the last clue with the rest of the flowers in hand. (Make sure each hidden flower/clue is somewhere between her classes and not completely out of the way. Don’t make it a tour of the campus.)

*Please note that there are a billion of other ways to ask a girl to prom, these are just some ideas. Get your creativity on and do whatever you think she would like best!

How do I deal with mean girls in high school when all I try to do is be nice?

Dear Nice,

Unfortunately, everywhere we go there will always be “mean” people–work, college–even the people in the grocery line can get attitudes. But, the key to dealing with these people is trying to understand why they are being mean.

Most people that point out others’ flaws, or bully other people, are insecure about themselves. Picking on people is their scapegoat in forgetting all of their own personal flaws, insecurities, or problems that surround them.

After understanding this, you will begin to realize that you aren’t doing anything wrong, and being nice is really all you can do. Although it can be tough, especially when it feels like these people should be the cast for the next Mean Girls movie, just keep being yourself. High school flies by too quickly to let a few “mean” people drag you down.

How do you tell a friend something they don’t want to hear without hurting their feelings?

Dear Concerned Friend,

The first question I think you should ask yourself is: do they really need to know this or is it just something you think they need to know? And, the second question to consider is: if it could hurt their feelings, then is it worth it?

After considering these questions, and if you have decided that it’s best to tell them, then remember to be truthful in a sensitive way, especially knowing that it has a possibility of hurting them. And don’t be upset at their reaction when first hearing your words. Remember that their emotions are in play, and give them time to consider what you’ve said and time to cool down before approaching them about the subject matter again.

When it comes down to attention, I absolutely hate it.  And with prom coming up, I’m afraid to go because of attention I may receive, and I’m also scared of even trying to find a date without trying to seem desperate or like an attention seeker. Any advice?

Dear Non-attention Seeker,

For those not used to it, attention can be a very terrifying thing, but I don’t think you should let this fear stop you from attending prom. Yes, the sparkly dresses, fancy shoes, and all the other things found at prom can draw attention, but just consider it as a more fancy version of a fun night hanging out with friends.

And, as for the date dilemma goes, don’t pressure yourself with the myth that everyone “must” have a date to prom. But if you have the desire to go with a certain someone, then just casually ask them. Longing for companionship does not mean you are an attention seeker–it’s simply human nature. And yes, rejection is always a possibility when putting yourself out there, but it’s better to do it now than regret not doing it after April 5th swings around.

Need advice? Comment below!