Mrs. Buchanan awarded Teacher of the Year

Whether she’s downstairs on A Wing, in the cafeteria, or upstairs, Mrs. Tricia Buchanan can always be found with a smile on her face and eager to help any Trojan that crosses her path. Her heart for teaching is evident and on Wednesday morning, she was recognized publicly as the 2017 Teacher of the Year.

“I was stunned when I found out. I had to ask Mr. Boles if he was sure! We have so many fabulous teachers who are leaders in our school and community. I couldn’t believe I was chosen by my peers,” she said.

In the past eleven years at THS, Buchannan has taught academic support classes, inclusion world history, and inclusion US history with Mrs. Watson. She has also taught inclusion biology, inclusion Algebra I, direct-instruction English 12, and personal living/finance.

What she enjoys most about teaching are the relationships she gets to build with her students and co-workers.

“As a special education teacher, I am able to work with the same group of students all four years of their high school career. Watching my students mature from nervous ninth graders to young adults who are ready to take on the world is so rewarding.”

“I also love co-teaching with Mrs. Watson. She inspires me every day to learn more and teach more effectively. I am a better teacher because I have taught alongside her for the last five years,” Buchanan added.

Buchanan believes her ultimate purpose as a teacher is not just to cover material required for SOL tests, but to mold students into life-long learners.

She explained, “We all have to learn something new everyday- whether it’s how to operate a new smart phone or how to plan the amount of food needed to throw a birthday party. While we are teaching students how to factor a polynomial, compose a six-paragraph essay, or remember the order of the governments of Rome, we are actually teaching students how to learn. Those are skills that can help students for a lifetime.”

As she finishes out the year with her new honor, her goal is to continue positively impacting her students.

“Everyone has something to contribute to all of us. Each student is valuable and has their own unique perspective. I want them to believe that for themselves and each other.”